SME3009 II with Kenwood KD500 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th June 2006, 12:14 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default SME3009 II with Kenwood KD500

I have some old SME 3009 II tone arms. I'm thinking of mating one to a Kenwood KD500 TT. Worth doing? Is the bronze bearing upgrade for the SME tonearm worthwhile? Is this tonearm considered to be a low mass arm? I have a Grado Gold and an original Sumiko Blue Point. which would be a more appropriate combination with the SME arm? Is there a rule of thumb fro compliance vs. effective mass?
Old 11th June 2006, 12:44 PM   #2
phn is offline phn  Sweden
diyAudio Member

I cannot see why not, though I personally think the tonearm is the most overrated component on a turntable. It's medium mass, by today's standard. Analogue Classics.

The bronze bearing, as you know, gets favorable reviews. But I think only you can decide if the price tag is justified. Yours at least has a steel bearing and not the plastic one found on some later models. The Sumiko looks like a perfect match.
Old 12th June 2006, 12:49 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Actually, I misspoke. It's the 3009R I have with the nylon bearing, so I think I would want to change that out.
Old 12th June 2006, 01:05 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Might not be a bad buy. After all, you have everything else. Aren't we all grasping for that brass ring?
Old 12th June 2006, 01:14 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

I'll probably try one of the arms as is before I spring for the new bearing. However, I have to keep in mind that the arms (3 of them) have been jumbled around in a box for a while, and the plastic bearings may have suffered. They were discards from the college radio station where I DJ. Between the 3 arms, I have enough bits and bobs to get at least one working.
Old 12th June 2006, 10:06 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by wrenchone
I'll probably try one of the arms as is before I spring for the new bearing.
That's how I would do it.
Old 12th June 2006, 11:02 AM   #7
sreten is offline sreten  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi,

The Grado Gold is more likely to sound well with the SME than the Blue Point IMO.

/sreten.
Old 12th June 2006, 03:53 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

The recommended tracking force of the Grado (of which I have no experience) is 15 mN and 18 for the Sumiko. I can be wrong, but I doubt there could be much improvement either way. On the other hand, why argue? Test and see which you prefer.
Old 19th June 2006, 12:21 PM   #9
Nam402 is offline Nam402  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi,

I also have an SME 3009 arm (mk11 improved fixed headhshell). I've had conflicting advice on a suitable cartridge and I'm now muddled.

Is this arm too light for a MC cartridge and if so which MM to go for?

Hope I'm not hijacking this thread, just have the same kind of problem!

Cheers, Nam402
Old 19th June 2006, 02:35 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Nam402, you can use pretty much any MC cart that works with the modern SME and Rega arms. You have to look for a high-compliant cart, under 15 mN. The problem is that they tend to be expensive. At least I know of no cheap one. Hopefully somebody that uses high-compliant carts can recommend something.

As for MM, Goldring should do. Of course, so will Ortofon, Shure, and any other MM cart. I like Goldring. But I'm not the kind of guy that recommends on thing over another. Only you can decide what suits you best.

Hide this!Advertise here!