Cleaning gunk off a 78 needle - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th June 2006, 09:21 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Cleaning gunk off a 78 needle

I've just gone through a large number of 78's, working out which one's I wanted to keep and which to pass on. Because there were so many it was really only practical to brush them before listening, rather than a proper clean if they needed it.

Because of this I've now got a decent amount of crud stuck behind the tip which the usual brush will not dislodge. It doesn't seem to make much difference, sonically and the needle is still in good condition, but I would like to get it off somehow.

Does anyone have any ideas as to how I might achieve that? The note that came with the cart was rather specific about not using solvents. It is a Grado Prestige 78C.
Old 9th June 2006, 10:00 AM   #2
dnsey is offline dnsey  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Fine silicon carbide paper, used *very carefully* is perfectly safe on a diamond stylus, and will remove almost any debris. Linn used to sell it specifically for the purpose.
Old 9th June 2006, 10:05 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Cheers, I'm familiar with the stuff, I'm not sure how I would exert enough pressure to get the gunk off without damaging the stylus suspension though.

Peter.
Old 10th June 2006, 06:22 PM   #4
bulgin is offline bulgin  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Default Cleaning gunk of a 78 needle

Hi all

Here we go again with silicone carbide paper on a stylus (with all due respect to the poster). Maybe because I live in the colonial sticks, I'm not familiar with this cleaning method but quite frankly, I don't like it.

Grado most likely uses the same stylus to cantilever and cantilever to suspension adhesives like all other cart. manufacturers. Maybe over the years they had customers do really stupid things to their products (like rinsing in thinners or acetone) and their caution about solvents are likely given to protect themselves against misuse.

For easy, safe cleaning of styli, you need a shorthaired brush with black fibre bristles (it looks like a little frying pan) and is still available. The cleaning solution I use comes in a small aerosol can and is called Servisol Video 40. The stuff is UK made Ambersil of Somerset, England. It is perfectly safe on rubber and adhesives provided you spray a little on the brush and then clean the gunk off the stylus by careful backwards/forwards strokes. There is no need to spray directly on the stylus as you will probably miss...

BTW I have NO connection whatsoever with Ambersil.

Cheers

bulgin

Hide this!Advertise here!