FM/AM Tuner - Page 13 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th February 2012, 11:45 AM   #121
diyAudio Member

Default I want to replace sony tuner with CXA1238 single chip.

Hi All,

I have a sony mini hi-fi system and its radio tuner is not working. So I want to replace the tuner with CXA1238 single IC as its a high quality tuner.
Can it be replaced with CXA1238 single IC chip?
Please help me to do this.

Thanks.
Nuwan Mahesh.
Old 25th February 2012, 04:08 AM   #122
diyAudio Member

Default CXA1238

Can anyone please help me?
Old 25th February 2012, 08:23 AM   #123
raindog is offline raindog  Romania
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to raindog
How experienced are you with this kind of work? It's not exactly an easy project for a beginner.
Old 22nd May 2013, 01:14 AM   #124
RNMarsh is offline RNMarsh  United States
diyAudio Member

FYI --- I have a Magnum DynaLab MD102 analog FM only tuner. As I do not live in or near a city, the broadcasts are almost out of range for this tuner. Even an amplified antenna doesnt help a lot. the few good stations i get are just 'good' quality sound. Finally, unhappy with this situation, I began the search for a better tuner.
Then I learned that the Yamaha T-2 was one of the better tuners of yester-year and I picked one up for a very good price - like new (1/10th the price of a MD102). This T-2 tuner is fantastic! Not only do I get the stations loud and clear now, the sound quality is quit transparent and better than I have heard from an FM tuner in years. The T2 has lived up to its reputation. So, I'll go thru it and replace the obvious with upgraded parts (electro caps etc) and use it as my 'new' tuner.

Thx-RNMarsh

Last edited by RNMarsh; 22nd May 2013 at 01:23 AM. Reason: two thumbs up - T2
Old 25th May 2013, 10:26 PM   #125
diyAudio Member

I find that the BEST radios now a days are CAR RADIOS!!! (They have some of the BEST FRONT ENDS i have seen in 30 years!! -- ESPECIALLY FOR AM RECEPTION (FM REJECTION IS QUITE GOOD ALSO))

Other that that GE SUPERRADIO is another good radio/good front end!!!! (I have this)

www.ebay.com/itm/200693879271
Old 26th May 2013, 03:20 AM   #126
diyAudio Member

Very true, there was even car radio with diversity FM reception (two independent receivers, with hopefully one of them getting a better signal when you get multi-path fading)
Old 26th May 2013, 09:21 AM   #127
gpapag is offline gpapag  Greece
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNMarsh View Post

This T-2 tuner is fantastic! Not only do I get the stations loud and clear now, the sound quality is quit transparent and better than I have heard from an FM tuner in years. The T2 has lived up to its reputation. So, I'll go thru it and replace the obvious with upgraded parts (electro caps etc) and use it as my 'new' tuner.

Thx-RNMarsh

This is a top Tuner. Front end design is exemplar (even for later tuners with varicap tuning elements) Good design overall. Congratulations for the choise.

There is no coupling electrolytic cap across the RF/IF/AF signal path except only at Post Amp PCB AF out (C427,C431/C428,C452 3.3/16 BP and these are already bypassed).
IMO there is not much for capacitors tweaking. PSU is descent too.

Better PS decoupling at the B+ input of Front End PCB and Filtering/decoupling B+ input of Digital PCB may worth a try.

In case you have missed it, schematic is available here: http://www.fmtunerinfo.com/T-2schematic.jpg (* )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
I find that the BEST radios now a days are CAR RADIOS!!! (They have some of the BEST FRONT ENDS i have seen in 30 years!! -- ESPECIALLY FOR AM RECEPTION (FM REJECTION IS QUITE GOOD ALSO))
I haven’t looked into modern car radios but the aged ones owed part of their good performance to the variable inductor tuning (in contrast to variable capacitor for home units)

George

(*) Look in your e-mail box

Last edited by gpapag; 26th May 2013 at 09:26 AM.
Old 30th May 2013, 03:28 PM   #128
alayn91 is offline alayn91  France
diyAudio Member

Hello,

Just Google with "Pulse Counting FM Receiver" and you will have lots of links.

For ex:
- Pulse Counting FM Receiver with Tubes

Regards.
Alain.
Old 30th May 2013, 04:44 PM   #129
gpapag is offline gpapag  Greece
diyAudio Member

Pulse counting detector. Thank you Alain.
What a coincidence. Yesterday afternoon I was reading about Pulse Counting TX/RX principle on my 1947 volume Radio Engineering Frederick E. Terman (*)

Kenwood used such detectors in some of it’s renowned FM home tuners. 600T, KT-80, KT-615, KT-815, KT-917, KT-1000, KT-1100, L-07TII but not for later models.
(Kenwood had a long history in RF world under the brand name Trio )

George

(*) The 1937 edition is in the Internet Archives. http://ia700204.us.archive.org/21/it...ngineering.pdf
Old 1st June 2013, 02:23 AM   #130
diyAudio Member

I had an analogue tuning Sansui with Pulse Count detection. My synthesised Sony with dual quadrature coil detector sounds better

Hide this!Advertise here!