Audio-Technica AT-PL120

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Does anyone on this forum have one? Can you give a review? Amazon buyers give it great reviews, but audioreview.com doesn't have a single review on it.

I've been wanting to get in to vinal, but I was starting to get the impression that I would have to spend $500 and up to get anything worth bringing home.

I've never seen so many good reviews for a turntable in this price range.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...8892-6186224?_encoding=UTF8&v=glance&n=172282

The best play back device I have now is a SACD player, but I want to hear some good vinal. I've only heard it a few times on decent stereo's and I really want to get in to it. Is this turntable a good start, or should I save up for something better?

gvr4ever

Before you make the leap browse around here:

Needle Doctor

You'll find quite a few 'tables under $500, namely Thorens, Pro-Ject, Music Hall, Rega and others. The Audio Technica PL120 I would call a budget DJ 'table. I would save up/spend the extra few dollars to get a better turntable than have the morning after regrets. I'm sure we've all been there before! :D

Wayne

Edit: There have been a few problems with the Music Hall MMF-2.1, I don't know if they have been corrected or not. I don't usually do this but I would recommend the Pro-Ject, Rega or Thorens.

Thanks for the tip. I'm not in the biggest of hurry, so I'm not buying tomorrow.

I have a old sansui amp that needs a preamp board replaced or repaired, and to make things worse, I've misplaced the amp :(

Basicly at the moment, I have a home theater, but it's going in a home theater only room and I want a stereo for the main sitting room in the house, so it will have a SACD player hooked up to it, LD player, ect. I've yet to acually make my own set of speakers, so I will probably ebay some Infinity SMs or something till I build speakers. At the moment, my main set of speakers are Infinity SM115s for the HT and they still sound good. I've heard others that sound better, but they also cost over a grand too.

I'm going back to school for electrical engineering technology, so hopefully, I won't be guessing and figuring out speaker making by trial and error and more error then anything. I pretty much plan on spending time on the crossover design for awhile and not build anything till I'm happy with my design. Hopefully I can even buy some student versions of some of the nice software.

Hi,

It seems a pretty decent turntable especially considering the DJ
turntable type competition. How it would fair against more Hi-Fi
oriented designs is arguable, basically if you like the look and
feel of a "pro" type turntable go for it.

The built in phono stage is a nice feature.

If you do first replace the cartridge immediately, secondly replacing
the slip mat with something more substantial will help a lot, try and
find a rubber pactise damper for a 12" snare drum, fairly cheap.

:)/sreten.

Hi I'm new to the forum
I have the AT-PL120 and have been very pleased with it, I'v had mine for a year now. It's rock steady with the quarz lock on. My only gripe is the azimuth adj. screw is on the bottom of the tone arm, I have mine mounted on concrete blocks with 1/2" foam core. Between the turntable and blocks. With two 18" subwoofers I can go to a little less than 1/2 vol. before I notice feedback.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.