Yamaha K-65 tape desk raspy noise question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi there,
A few days ago I ran into a Yamaha K-65 dual-tape deck in a local thrift shop for a price which was next to nothing. I gave it a try. It is an old deck, my guess is at least 20 years old, but in good condition. Everything seems to be working properly, it plays back tapes and records fine.
However, one of the tape wells (the one with playback only capabilities) has a strange problem. When playing tapes, it intermittently produces a loud raspy mechanical noise, as if two metal parts are rubbing against each other. It is not periodical, and it comes into the picture once in a while, but it is loud. Also playback "background" sound (not the tape hiss from tape rubbing against the head, but the sound of the machine pulling the tape) on this tape well is generally a little louder than on the other tape well. However, the general tape playback is fine, even when the raspy metallic sound comes in, the tape appears to be advancing at a regular speed adn the music seems to be not affected. Also fast forward (FF) and rewind (REW) functions are working fine, and there is no raspy sound when FF or REW functions are activated.
Yesterday I opened up the unit, and the belt appears to be OK. All other parts inside seems to be OK as well, at least nothing obviously broken or malfinctioning. The noise is still there.
I would really appreciate if anybody care to comment or provide words of wisdom on the nature of this raspy sound and the ways to deal with it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.