Akai 4000DS MkII repair

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

I am trying to ressurrect one of these. It is in excellent mechanical order and plays back very well, the heads are in good order.

Recording was poor and sounded very unstable at high frequencies - not flutter but it seems like the bias is not right.

However, after re-aligning the heads and adjusting playback, record level and record bias current, it still wouldn't come up to spec, only managing to record 5K to -5db on R ang -7db on L with a 0db input. Next day I thought I would continue my testing and the two 400mA fuses for the main boards have blown.

I have downloaded the service manual for the MkII but the bias and rec/play boards in the manual have different part numbers to my deck.

Any ideas someone please?

David

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2003
Bin it. If you want to use 1/4" there are any number of professional machines available for peanuts that will eat a 4000D for dinner. Ask a local broadcaster and they may even give you a Studer. Perhaps offer a donation to a charity of their choice (they're not usually geared up for small sales).

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I agree with EC8010.

It uses glass heads, they just don't look worn. The surface gets wavey and the gaps do tend to chip wider. They also overload very easily. So even with new heads, do not expect it to sound good.

A Revox A-77 with a "butter" head will kill your Akai for sound. So will a Teac A3300 or anything else they make.

Sorry for the bad news. It sounds like you've already spent some time on it.

-Chris

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.