Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd May 2006, 01:32 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Akai 4000DS MkII repair

Hello,

I am trying to ressurrect one of these. It is in excellent mechanical order and plays back very well, the heads are in good order.

Recording was poor and sounded very unstable at high frequencies - not flutter but it seems like the bias is not right.

However, after re-aligning the heads and adjusting playback, record level and record bias current, it still wouldn't come up to spec, only managing to record 5K to -5db on R ang -7db on L with a 0db input. Next day I thought I would continue my testing and the two 400mA fuses for the main boards have blown.

I have downloaded the service manual for the MkII but the bias and rec/play boards in the manual have different part numbers to my deck.

Any ideas someone please?

David
Old 24th May 2006, 11:37 AM   #2
EC8010 is offline EC8010  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Bin it. If you want to use 1/4" there are any number of professional machines available for peanuts that will eat a 4000D for dinner. Ask a local broadcaster and they may even give you a Studer. Perhaps offer a donation to a charity of their choice (they're not usually geared up for small sales).
Old 26th May 2006, 03:05 AM   #3
anatech is offline anatech  Canada
diyAudio Moderator

I agree with EC8010.

It uses glass heads, they just don't look worn. The surface gets wavey and the gaps do tend to chip wider. They also overload very easily. So even with new heads, do not expect it to sound good.

A Revox A-77 with a "butter" head will kill your Akai for sound. So will a Teac A3300 or anything else they make.

Sorry for the bad news. It sounds like you've already spent some time on it.

-Chris

Hide this!Advertise here!