Idea for a DIY platter

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thinking about how I may build the platter for my DIY turntable I have hit this idea and run a prelimanary test in conjunction with a video head bearing.

I got 4 old 12 inch records of the heavy shellac variety, they cost 10 cents each then cut thin rubber non-slip matting to sandwhich between each record, then I put a regular rubber record matt on top of that. In the final one I think I could stick them together with double sided picture mount film.

The result a very very inert platter that has enough weight to spin for ages on the video bearing and absolutely no noise, no matter how hard I try I can't hear a thing! I would need some surface to run the belt on but that could be made from mdf and glued to the bottom of the stack.

I suppose it sounds weird, but i think it is worth further investigation.

So now my turntable is looking like a floppy drive motor, laminated shallac records platter, wooden unipivot arm.

Excluding the cartridge this might be up and running for under $40.00 and I have a couple old pickerings i can press into service there anyway.

I'm getting excited!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.