armboard for TD160

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi

I need a template to make a new armboard for a SME 3009/ TD160 combo. The TD160 came with a TP16-1 arm, but the headshell is about 3 degrees out of line with the armtube. Now I think of refit the Thorens with a SME 3009, but therefore I need to make a new armboard. Any suggestions?

Hello Merijn,

I made one out of perspex for my TD150. The only important thing is that you get the distance from arm pivoting point to middle of the turntable right.
Normally there´s a template with the 3009.
I still have one for the 3009 II so if you need the distance I can measure it for you.

william

Rega arm

I'm also thinking about fitting a rega in my TD160. I was thinking also in Pro-ject but is only 12% cheaper than the RB300
I have an RPM4 from project, so I can comment about the project9 tonearm: When I fitted the cartridge I went to a pro (a friend of Linn) to set it up and he only growled about the low quality. He was true, the bearings were lazy as me. Instead of floating like an astronaut, the arm stayed where it was left (not so exaggerated, but obvious) . I complained at the shop where I bought it and they changed the arm. Now it was agile, but the antiskating device is not the best and it has slightly a trend to go outside. I tested it with a test lp and it tracks well (until track number 3) I think that with a better skating will get better tracking.
Well, it's better than the thorens arm, but I suspect that the RB300 is much better. Does anyone else have any comments?

Does anyone have fitted a rega in a thorens? any difficulties building the armboard?

Distance

I finally bought the Rega 250 for my td160, with the OL VTA adjuster. Unfortunately, I've discovered that the rega needs 222mm from spindle center to arm pivot center, i.e. more than the TP16. Actually, the thorens arm is 215 approx. away. Is this a problem?
The OL instructions states a 3mm safety margin, not enough:bawling:

Has anyone fitted a rega in a thorens?

Attachments

• smechematic1.jpg
    smechematic1.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 317
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.