How is cut an LP - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd March 2012, 06:13 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

I'm close to Nashville and have been lurking on craigslist looking for a Scully cutting lathe or something. No luck, must have gone to the scrap bins 2 decades ago.
On the LP (long player) front, some very careful people are dying and their collections are going to Goodwill, etc. Picked up 20 disks of the complete piano compositions of Beethoven for $.50 each a month ago. Alfred Brendel, I didn't know him so I bought $5 worth at first then rode the bus back the next week and bought the rest. Some of these probably had never been played. Serious storage room mud and insect **** on them, but that washes off. Did you know Beethoven did a theme and variations for piano on Rule Brittania? Bet you never hear that one on the radio! I never have.
I've actually picked up some legendary Mercury Living Presence LP's for $.50, hardly used. 1812 overture, Kaboom!!!! Duruflet @ ST Thomas church before they "upgraded" the organ. Genuine CR Fine engineering. I had a few I bought in 1965-68 but I had to pay for the bassoon reeds and lessons, too. And much more obscure stuff, @ $.50 each, I'm not too picky. Did you know Andre Kostelonitz, before he became a Living String clone (blah!) had some talent? The Lure of Spain, CL 943, now there is fiery mono recording.

Last edited by indianajo; 22nd March 2012 at 06:22 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!