DIY lightweight record clamp -!not based on weight! - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th May 2006, 11:05 AM   #1
furious is offline furious  Hungary
diyAudio Member

Default DIY lightweight record clamp -!not based on weight!

I was searching for a suitable record clamp for my turntable (nad 5120) which has a floating chassis, so clamps which press the record by their weight are not compatible with my turntable.I would like to find something which is attached to the rotating axis of the turntable, and pressure on the record is achieved by some mechanical technique.(not by the weight of the record clamp).Has anybody found a lightweight record clamping solution for floating suspension turntabels?
Old 14th May 2006, 12:44 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

how about the michel record clamp - uses pawls to grip the spindle - and is reasonably lightweight
Old 15th May 2006, 08:14 AM   #3
tubenut is offline tubenut  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Clear Audio Souther Clever Clamp should work.....
It is light as it is plastic and it is low weight and grabs the spindle.

It is also not that expensive @ 30 dollars, although it is just a plastic disc.

The only part I do not like about it and why I do not use mine on my Linn with Akito is that the headshell has a diagonal flange on its side that on some lead out grooves hits the clamp. No probs with a Rega arm though...

http://www.needledoctor.com/s.nl/sc....t.A/id.1139/.f
Old 15th May 2006, 09:02 AM   #4
arnoldc is offline arnoldc  Philippines
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to arnoldc
I have both of the aforementioned products.

My comment on the Clearaudio Clever Clamp is that you have to press it down, and in a suspended table, that could stress your suspension.

The Michell (and its OEM the Living Voice clamp) is a reflex type. You lock and release by just twisting.

But hey, if you wanted to flatten out a warped record, then both will require you to press down.
Old 15th May 2006, 05:51 PM   #5
karlw is offline karlw  United States
diyAudio Member

My problem with the clever clamp (I used to have one) is that it doesn't really hold the spindle very well. I think the only ones that work without weight are the thread-on types, like on the VPI turntables. In fact I think they work far better than anything with just weight unless it is very very heavy. So unfortunately, this doesn't help the OP very much.

Maybe all these inventive minds can come up with something?

-Karl
Old 16th May 2006, 02:55 AM   #6
Nanook is offline Nanook  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default some time ago...

there existed a "tripod" record clamp. Can't remember the brand.... but I used one for a while. As much pressure as needed with very low weight.

It was sold through UHF magazine in Canada, I think..
Old 16th May 2006, 06:15 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Hi Nanook

Black and orange thing? I remember trying a Nagaoka that had 3 orange rubber pads and a "clamping" mech activated with a twist.

Karlw

I think the clever clamp is quite tight, however I believe there is no absolute standard on spindle thickness (somewhere between 7.5 and 8.5 dia depending on deck) so that makes it hard to get such a simple device to fit all. It clamped well on my Linn Axis and Funk Firm "Funk Vector" when I checked. The funk as standard uses a lightweight threaded clamp which is great but only works on the Funk threaded spindle....

If :furious" can try a clever clamp it may work for him all depending on the exact spindle thickness on his deck...
Old 16th May 2006, 01:41 PM   #8
karlw is offline karlw  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tubenut

I think the clever clamp is quite tight, however I believe there is no absolute standard on spindle thickness (somewhere between 7.5 and 8.5 dia depending on deck) so that makes it hard to get such a simple device to fit all. It clamped well on my Linn Axis and Funk Firm "Funk Vector" when I checked.
That may be. I had a Dual turntable, and it may have been that the clamp was also well-used and thus a little worn out.

-Karl
Old 16th May 2006, 10:43 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

You should get/make a "Goldmund" style clamp.

I will try to describe how it works
It is a relative light aluminium clamp with acrylic bottom and copper small inner clamp. The inner clamp sticks about 6mm out of the clamp underneath. When you put the clamp on the record and turn the screw top this will pull the innerclamp inwards while it firmly grips the spindle. It is a very strong grip and you don't need to use any force.

I have had a Mitchel clamp but you need to push this with force on the record will tightening it. It will never be as tight as the Goldmund.

The Oracle also works good but for this you will need to put thread on the spindle itself. (This will wear the record label as the whole clamp turns while tightening)
Old 17th May 2006, 06:53 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

A picture pleeeeeeaaaaase Eric.........

Hide this!Advertise here!