DIY lightweight record clamp -!not based on weight! - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th July 2006, 01:58 AM   #21
tubee is offline tubee  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

I bought a TT mat years ago(+/- 45euro's), turned from acryllic in a slight concave shape. It had to be glued on the platter with double sided tape, and had a lead-composite layer just under the tape. The manufacturer added some rings, if you had a bumpy record this ring in combination with clamp pushes the record on the mat.
Never used the rings, and later i glued a felt mat on the tt mat, this gives always a good record-platter contact now, and reduces resonances in record. This felt was self adhesive with double sided tape on it too.
Old 30th September 2006, 10:02 PM   #22
tubenut is offline tubenut  South Africa
diyAudio Member

WRT to the Goldmund clamp, clearaudio seems to make/sell an identical clamp for I think 55 Euro.....
Old 1st October 2006, 07:04 PM   #23
diyAudio Member

Although I don't want to get your hopes up, you might see if you can find one of these.

Nagaoka RC-410.
Click the image to open in full size.

I bought this one years ago. It uses a spring-loaded chuck and weighs <120g (the 'fur' on the top is for cleaning the stylus).

Like many brilliant Japanese gizmos (remember the Audio Technica AT637 styus cleaner?) it's either out of production or no longer exported, but I've seen at least one on eBay in the last year.

A.
Old 6th October 2006, 08:14 PM   #24
owen is offline owen  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

How about a Balsa puck - layered up to the required thickness (1/2" or so), and being held in place by a magnet. As long as the magnet is pole to pole on the bearing spindle, the variation of magnetic field anywhere near the cart will be miniscule.

An idea so good, I might just make one (or five million)

Owen
Old 10th October 2006, 03:12 AM   #25
soongsc is offline soongsc  Taiwan
diyAudio Member

Sota used to have one like the Goldmund with a quick release lever. The problem with these is that, if your LP is not flat in a way that it sticks to the plater, the clamp does not perform it's function well. Oracle used to have a design that raised the center slighlty and let the clamp pressure the LP against the plater, but without a screw implementation an a long center spindle, chances are either the clamp will not hold, or you have to manually put pressure, both if which are not ideal.

The best solution would be to clamp to the spindle like the Goldmund design, and use another noob to pressure the clamp down on the LP.
Old 14th February 2009, 05:06 AM   #26
diyAudio Member

i just drilled a hole in a hockey puck.
6 oz.
it works! i drilled the hole so it fits quite snugly. you have to press it down and then it stays tight. i simply picked the drill bit by pushing one through a record's spindle hole (hot? lol) for the best fit. i don't even know what size the bit was.

my previous DYI clamp was a glass cup filled with candle wax. only the wax touches the record. pretty heavy, and slightly assymetrical, but it never seemed to affect the pitch of the dual 506, and it definitely was a substantial improvement.

i have a felt mat (pro-ject debut II), too, so there IS a benefit (i hear it, ...more, tighter low end, tighter high end, better separation...), , although it's admittedly not as noticeable as on a rubber mat (dual 506).

for a buck for hockey puck, it's worth it.
Old 1st February 2013, 12:38 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

Hello guys !
First I apologize for my English writing, I am French.
I want to show you my lightweight record clamp.
I made it myself because it doesn't exist anywhere.

It is really light, it weights only 55 grams :

But it clamps so efficiently that i can remove the entire platter of my Linn LP-12 by pulling on it when it is firmly screwed.
Obviously I can trim its effect as I want.
It is made of Lexan for the parts, Nylon for the screws and brass for the axles. No one magnetic part inside.

Here is another view :
Old 19th December 2013, 05:45 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

Bon jour! Just wondering if you could be kind enough to please post the DESIGN of your great looking record clamp here. I am using a spring-suspended turntable, and heavily weighted record clamps are not really an option... Cheers!
Old 19th December 2013, 06:35 PM   #29
YNWOAN is offline YNWOAN  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

ArchStanton - that's very interesting .

I made this version of the Clearaudio:

But use this in preference:

Last edited by YNWOAN; 19th December 2013 at 06:45 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!