DIY lightweight record clamp -!not based on weight! - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th May 2006, 11:34 PM   #11
Aengus is offline Aengus  Canada
diyAudio Member

You may want to take a look at http://www.soundfountain.com/amb/puck.html
Old 19th May 2006, 05:37 PM   #12
furious is offline furious  Hungary
diyAudio Member

Aengus, than you for the tip, but the weight is 350 grams, which maybe too much for the suspension of my turntable (nad 5120).So I think the Goldmund would be the most suitable (or DIY based on Goldmund-design). I will post some pictures of the design which I am planning to biuld.Has any body used the KAB record clamp?
Old 19th May 2006, 07:20 PM   #13
tubenut is offline tubenut  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Someone I know has used it and likes it, I am not sure what else he has tried though.
I believe the clever clamp will be as effective for less $$$$

The fact remains that this KAB clamp also requires down force to do the initial clamping. The 5120 is about as loose as a TT suspension gets....

Why do you need a clamp? In many cases a deck sounds no better and often worse when not designed to be used with a clamp.
If it is for the odd warped record I understand.
Old 19th May 2006, 07:47 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Hera are some pictures:

The goldmund clamp on a record player:
Click the image to open in full size.

The goldmund clamp on the bottom, screw detail (untightened)

The Clamp on the bottom, overview (untightened)

The clamp on the bottom: (TIGHTENED)

The clamp from the side untightned, but the clamping copper pushed inwards to show that the middle moves up and down and pulls the copper inwards. (I do not find a better way to describe this)

Please keep in mind this is a first generation Goldmund clamp as part of a goldmund studietto TT. Newer clamps had improved looks an maybe improved material but system was the same.

My Goldmund studietto and also my oracle Delphi sound better with clamp. A turntable with felt mat normally has little and sometimes no benefit from a clamp.
Old 20th May 2006, 02:15 PM   #15
furious is offline furious  Hungary
diyAudio Member

Default clamp

ericpeters, thank you for the pictures, they describe very well the function.I can start searching for a similar mechanism, (I think there is a similar thing in drills).
Old 3rd June 2006, 05:10 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

I want on-the-fly clamping, none of this stop-clamp-start. I've used the Mitchell clamp, which works exactly like the Goldmund, on my Systemdek IIX but don't like the stop-clamp-start process for each side of every disc. Maybe the static puck weight can be adjusted into the suspension.
Old 7th June 2006, 10:46 AM   #17
dario54 is offline dario54  Israel
diyAudio Member

I bought few years ago a NOS clamp made in England.
It was called THE PIG, was simply to put on by (light) pressure.
Weighted almost nothing.
If u can find it, it can be a solution...

Dario
Old 14th June 2006, 05:12 AM   #18
tubee is offline tubee  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Hi there

I made a Goldmund clamp too long time ago, on a lathe.
Works ferfect, the conical brass peace pulls itself into a smaller diameter and grabs the spindle when turned clockwise. Made of aluminium, the knob also, and anodised it black. There is a small Delrin or nylon disc between knob and clamp to reduce "eating" in the aluminium parts.

I suggest to find a person who could make this for you, its a perfect tool.

The "outer limit" ring is another item i want to make but i don't have such a large lathe.
Old 15th June 2006, 12:43 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Default Re: DIY lightweight record clamp -!not based on weight!

Quote:
Originally posted by furious
I would like to find something which is attached to the rotating axis of the turntable, and pressure on the record is achieved by some mechanical technique.(not by the weight of the record clamp).Has anybody found a lightweight record clamping solution for floating suspension turntabels?
Yes I did. Of course the cheapest DIY solution available.

My wife ended a plastic "can" of body cream with a large, nice orange coloured cap.

The cap was plastic with a nice gripping finish...

Good!

I drilled a hole in the cap with a diameter < spindle. I "press" it over the spindle and keeps my vinyls on the mat w/o any weight...

Do you like it?

Stefano

P.S.: Of course, it's "available" in a thousands of colours
Old 8th July 2006, 11:14 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Listens2tubes
I want on-the-fly clamping, none of this stop-clamp-start. I've used the Mitchell clamp, which works exactly like the Goldmund, on my Systemdek IIX but don't like the stop-clamp-start process for each side of every disc. Maybe the static puck weight can be adjusted into the suspension.

For on the fly clamping then maybe a turntable with a vacuum platter would be worth looking at. I've never been keen on the puck idea.It doesn't do the same job as a clamp does it.With the clamps I've seen, there is a small washer placed over the spindle so that the record is then pushed down over it by the clamp and forces the playing surface in contact with the mat. I did try a sticky silicon mat a lot of years ago and that worked well.You almost had to peel the record off it. Australian I think it was but I can't remember who made it. I've never really bothered with clamps, weights etc but my friend has an Orbe and it does sound better with the clamp in place.Mind you, it was designed to be used that way. Si.

Hide this!Advertise here!