DIY lightweight record clamp -!not based on weight!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I was searching for a suitable record clamp for my turntable (nad 5120) which has a floating chassis, so clamps which press the record by their weight are not compatible with my turntable.I would like to find something which is attached to the rotating axis of the turntable, and pressure on the record is achieved by some mechanical technique.(not by the weight of the record clamp).Has anybody found a lightweight record clamping solution for floating suspension turntabels?

Clear Audio Souther Clever Clamp should work.....
It is light as it is plastic and it is low weight and grabs the spindle.

It is also not that expensive @ 30 dollars, although it is just a plastic disc.

The only part I do not like about it and why I do not use mine on my Linn with Akito is that the headshell has a diagonal flange on its side that on some lead out grooves hits the clamp. No probs with a Rega arm though...

http://www.needledoctor.com/s.nl/sc.2/category.421/it.A/id.1139/.f

I have both of the aforementioned products.

My comment on the Clearaudio Clever Clamp is that you have to press it down, and in a suspended table, that could stress your suspension.

The Michell (and its OEM the Living Voice clamp) is a reflex type. You lock and release by just twisting.

But hey, if you wanted to flatten out a warped record, then both will require you to press down.

My problem with the clever clamp (I used to have one) is that it doesn't really hold the spindle very well. I think the only ones that work without weight are the thread-on types, like on the VPI turntables. In fact I think they work far better than anything with just weight unless it is very very heavy. So unfortunately, this doesn't help the OP very much.

Maybe all these inventive minds can come up with something?

-Karl

Hi Nanook

Black and orange thing? I remember trying a Nagaoka that had 3 orange rubber pads and a "clamping" mech activated with a twist.

Karlw

I think the clever clamp is quite tight, however I believe there is no absolute standard on spindle thickness (somewhere between 7.5 and 8.5 dia depending on deck) so that makes it hard to get such a simple device to fit all. It clamped well on my Linn Axis and Funk Firm "Funk Vector" when I checked. The funk as standard uses a lightweight threaded clamp which is great but only works on the Funk threaded spindle....

If :furious" can try a clever clamp it may work for him all depending on the exact spindle thickness on his deck...

tubenut said:

I think the clever clamp is quite tight, however I believe there is no absolute standard on spindle thickness (somewhere between 7.5 and 8.5 dia depending on deck) so that makes it hard to get such a simple device to fit all. It clamped well on my Linn Axis and Funk Firm "Funk Vector" when I checked.

That may be. I had a Dual turntable, and it may have been that the clamp was also well-used and thus a little worn out.

-Karl

You should get/make a "Goldmund" style clamp.

I will try to describe how it works
It is a relative light aluminium clamp with acrylic bottom and copper small inner clamp. The inner clamp sticks about 6mm out of the clamp underneath. When you put the clamp on the record and turn the screw top this will pull the innerclamp inwards while it firmly grips the spindle. It is a very strong grip and you don't need to use any force.

I have had a Mitchel clamp but you need to push this with force on the record will tightening it. It will never be as tight as the Goldmund.

The Oracle also works good but for this you will need to put thread on the spindle itself. (This will wear the record label as the whole clamp turns while tightening)

Aengus, than you for the tip, but the weight is 350 grams, which maybe too much for the suspension of my turntable (nad 5120).So I think the Goldmund would be the most suitable (or DIY based on Goldmund-design). I will post some pictures of the design which I am planning to biuld.Has any body used the KAB record clamp?

Someone I know has used it and likes it, I am not sure what else he has tried though.
I believe the clever clamp will be as effective for less $$$$

The fact remains that this KAB clamp also requires down force to do the initial clamping. The 5120 is about as loose as a TT suspension gets....

Why do you need a clamp? In many cases a deck sounds no better and often worse when not designed to be used with a clamp.
If it is for the odd warped record I understand.

Hera are some pictures:

The goldmund clamp on a record player:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

The goldmund clamp on the bottom, screw detail (untightened)
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

The Clamp on the bottom, overview (untightened)

The clamp on the bottom: (TIGHTENED)

The clamp from the side untightned, but the clamping copper pushed inwards to show that the middle moves up and down and pulls the copper inwards. (I do not find a better way to describe this)

Please keep in mind this is a first generation Goldmund clamp as part of a goldmund studietto TT. Newer clamps had improved looks an maybe improved material but system was the same.

My Goldmund studietto and also my oracle Delphi sound better with clamp. A turntable with felt mat normally has little and sometimes no benefit from a clamp.

Hi there

I made a Goldmund clamp too long time ago, on a lathe.
Works ferfect, the conical brass peace pulls itself into a smaller diameter and grabs the spindle when turned clockwise. Made of aluminium, the knob also, and anodised it black. There is a small Delrin or nylon disc between knob and clamp to reduce "eating" in the aluminium parts.

I suggest to find a person who could make this for you, its a perfect tool.

The "outer limit" ring is another item i want to make but i don't have such a large lathe.

furious said:
I would like to find something which is attached to the rotating axis of the turntable, and pressure on the record is achieved by some mechanical technique.(not by the weight of the record clamp).Has anybody found a lightweight record clamping solution for floating suspension turntabels?

Yes I did. Of course the cheapest DIY solution available.

My wife ended a plastic "can" of body cream with a large, nice orange coloured cap.

The cap was plastic with a nice gripping finish...

Good!

I drilled a hole in the cap with a diameter < spindle. I "press" it over the spindle and keeps my vinyls on the mat w/o any weight...

Do you like it?

Stefano

P.S.: Of course, it's "available" in a thousands of colours :)

Listens2tubes said:
I want on-the-fly clamping, none of this stop-clamp-start. I've used the Mitchell clamp, which works exactly like the Goldmund, on my Systemdek IIX but don't like the stop-clamp-start process for each side of every disc. Maybe the static puck weight can be adjusted into the suspension.:confused:

For on the fly clamping then maybe a turntable with a vacuum platter would be worth looking at. I've never been keen on the puck idea.It doesn't do the same job as a clamp does it.With the clamps I've seen, there is a small washer placed over the spindle so that the record is then pushed down over it by the clamp and forces the playing surface in contact with the mat. I did try a sticky silicon mat a lot of years ago and that worked well.You almost had to peel the record off it. Australian I think it was but I can't remember who made it. I've never really bothered with clamps, weights etc but my friend has an Orbe and it does sound better with the clamp in place.Mind you, it was designed to be used that way. Si.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.