Rega Planar 3 owners

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Have not tried this with a Rega, BUT I suspect it will work very well as the motor is attached to plinth and DC motors are generally have less vibration.

Before you do this (and spend $$$) I would reccomend detaching motor from plinth and fastening on a piece of something (wood, metal, block of anything right size) to the platform the table is on. Just use some blue tak etc. This will go a ways to lowering motor vibration in plinth and would be a good first step.

Adam

I am not an owner of a Rega turntable but I have modified another turntable from AC motor to DC motor. I use a Rega-like plint (although of different materials and much heavier) where the DC motor is mounted directly to the plint without suspension. Absolutly no disturbancies from that motor. The motor is feed from a 9 V battery and it runs for quite some time too.

not a Rega owner, but...

other than some apparent "speed" problems (reportedly from Rega owners themselves), they are generally very good. I've listened to many on more than one occasion and have always enjoyed them.

As far as reducing AC motor noise, try an easy to build external power supply. Linn owners report something in the neighbourhood of 72 volts needed for reduced motor noise on LP12s. Use a high quality rehostat as a test, and once the values are known, simply use that value resistor at an appropriate power type. AC motors require the frequency of the mains to determine speed,(not voltage), so it does not affect the speed..

Sarchi said:
Has anyone tried replacing the motor with a good DC motor, and powering it with a battery? If so I'd like to hear what you did and what the results were, subjectively.

Sarchi, perhaps you'd like to take part in this project. See the thread link below. I have been using the protoype for some time and it works very well, reasonably priced too.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=76634

hi V-A... yep I'm aware of it and am subscribed to that thread, but..

..................must..............resist.................group buy

argh

I just can't get into major turntable expenses right now, too many other things on the go. I was one of the early Teres builders so it's up my alley for sure. Maybe on the next go-round

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.