Transcriptors UK

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ever since i saw "Clockwork Orange" for the first time, i knew i wanted a transcriptors TT. Sadly, anytime i saw them on ebay they were around $600. ( and this is a rare occurence since- according to the designer when i asked him- only several hundred were made...)

I was in a vintage audio store a couple weeks ago and found a complete but disassembled "Saturn" model in the basement. So i picked up the parts, and boxed them up and shipped them off to the newly reopened Transcriptors, for Michael Gammon ( son of the original owner/designer ) to rebuild for me.

I expect the TT back in a couple weeks and i wondered what people's opinions were of transcriptors...if you've ever heard one, let alone seen one. How it sounded? It has the standard "Saturn" tonearm on it....should i mount an SME or something similar instead? Suggested cartridges ?

-maz

A Vestigal arm, probably, with its vertical bearing located in the headshell.

I wouldn't expect miracles of it, and indeed a budget MM with highish compliance seems suited.

Don't know about the Transcriptors Hydraulic,
but of the Michell Hydraulic quite a lot were built and sold. But they too fetch high prices
nowadays.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
Re: Transcriptors

cyclotronguy said:
I had one of these in the 70's an original Transcriptors Hydraulic Reference, with SME arm and Empire 1000 zEx cartridge. My only complaint was the lack of suspension. By todays standards, not a great device. Sure looked cool, however.

Kent
Pass Labs
Hey Kent,

That's funny. I had a friend who also had that TT but with an Audio Technica cartridge. It sounded great, but what sounded great to me back than might be a little scary today.:bigeyes:

Rodd Yamashita

Rodd,

Back then I thought it was a device straight from the gods. I've never enjoyed an audio device more. Still, by todays standards it's not a good turntable. It is however still stunning to look at.

Maybe someone will sell me one with all the brushes and SME arm in really good shape.

Kent

I also used to have the Hydraulic Reference with the freaky unipivot. It certainly sounded better than expected but more importantly was a great conversation piece. These days i keep a Trio L07 for these purposes, not sure if it sounds better, seldom listen to it.

cheers

peter

planet10 said:

Even by the standards of the day it wasn't a great sounding table (i think mine cost me like $150 used). But it was sure purty and influenced the design of an aweful lot of other tables.

dave
I think it's main problem is that the disc is only supported by a couple of small points, which allows a lot of play in the LP/cart interface. It also makes it really susceptible to feedback. I've heard them howl in situations my Gyro, for instance, would be completely unfazed.

Transcriptors Production Dates

Transcriptors Arm/Fluid Arm (1960 - 1973)

Transcriptors Sweep Arm/Stylus Brush/Stylus Scales (1960 - 1980)

Transcriptors Reference (1963)

Transcriptors Hydraulic Reference (1964 - 1973)

Transcriptors Hydraulic Reference (1973 - ?/ Produced under license by J A Michell)

Transcriptors Electronic Reference (1973 - ?/Produced under license by J A Michell)

Transcriptors Saturn (1968 - 1973)

Transcriptors Skeleton (1973 - 1977)

Transcriptors Round (1975)

Transcriptors Transcriber (1977 - 1980)

Transcriptors T6 (2003 - Present)

Transcriptors Spyder (TBA)

So here we are, a year later. I saw my first Transcriptors hydraulic TT in my best friend's basement back in '77, when it was already about fifteen years old. He offered to sell it to me, then decided to keep it. I never forgot that "look".

Yesterday I scored a restored Skeleton, which after a bunch of reading, I decided was THE Transcriptors for me. To me, design is important. I love analogue high-end turntables, but cannot afford a new one, and the Skeleton is the most beautiful glass box filled with audio hardware I've ever seen. This unit has the Vestigial tonearm, also restored to as-new condition.

I look forward to many happy hours on this Forum, learning and tweaking, possibly building. I'm fortunate to have at my disposal a complete machine shop, wood shop, and CNC 5-axis router, in addition to a laser cutter and an FDM 3D modelmaking machine.

Maybe some interesting projects will come of this reawakened interest.

My system? Vintage Sansui (mint '77 AU-717, TU-717 pair), recently refurbished and performing like new, older Klipsch speakers. I suppose if you're gonna have transistors with yer Transcriptors, it might as well be these guys.

Yeah, there's some great audio equipment in A Clockwork Orange:cool: I'm still curious about the 'micro cassette'-thing he uses.

The Transcriptor looks way cool, but also very seventies I think. And I've always had my doubts about the sound:
I think it's main problem is that the disc is only supported by a couple of small points, which allows a lot of play in the LP/cart interface. It also makes it really susceptible to feedback.

Not to mention the use of glass everywhere:whazzat:

Transcriptors Platter + Tonearm Howl

Regarding Planet10 comments regarding our platter. The record and the platter it sits on does not induce howl. Tone arm construction is the sole cause of this and this can be heard using an SME due to its thin wall thickness, compare this to a tonearm tube constructed of carbon fibre, you can certainly hear the difference.

We had on demo the new Spyder and Ikos turntables fitted with the six weighted platter at this years Hi-Fi show at heathrow and all the comments were positive and how musical the turntable was, not bad for a forty year old design. Our room was full from Friday to Sunday, to the point that my brother and i did not even have a second for a coffee or use the toilet.

We will be at the Scottish show at the end of next month and also at Manchester in the new year.

Michael Gammon
P.S Dad sold hundreds of Hydraulic's (including his 3 weight Reference) outselling the Michell licsensed version 8:1. My fathers Chief Engineer Keith Weightmen informed me of that little bit of knowledge

Not meaning to hijack here, but since we are on the subject of Transcriptors...

I have the chance to buy a transcribor, but the only issue is that the sensor that senses something to move the platter doesn't work. I am not sure if the part is either obtainable to be replaced, or repairable, but I am thinking on picking it up just because. I haven't negotiated a price as of yet, but depending on what that price may be... Still unsure....

thoughts?

Transcriber

Hi,

i have a few photoelectric cells that my father brought back from the factory in Ireland. If you do get it then you would have to send me the microtracer assembley which houses this and the cartridge so i can check it over to make sure it is this component. Just sold one to a client in Japan he paid £1100.00 GBP.

Regards

Michael Gammon

Hydraulic and tonearm

javascript:smilie(':(')
Sometimes I have strange feelings about some posts-looking like just half-memories of long time ago or second hand opinions...
I have an original Transcriptors Hydraulic with Hydraulic tonearm (since 3 years), and at the beginning I had mixed feelings-based on what I'd read in the forums;
but than I began doing some real testing-with real cartridges-and now I think that it really shines!
In comparison to Thorens 125 with SME (2 and 3), Linn LP12, Clearaudio evolution...it's a great player.
I'm using it now with a VandenHul MCII and a tube prephono (SIaudio), and it's really outstanding in every parameter.
I can't find any of the defects (howling, skating,...) that some attribute to it (but did they actually see it??), the only problem beeing a time consuming tonearm adjustment. But once it's done...what a music!
Even the tonearm, which someone said to throw away for a SME, is quite good, better than SME 2 with medium compliance MC cartridges.
So my advice is: if you find one, listen carefully!

I still have the michell hydraulik, mine was purchased in 1971 - no idea where the claim comes from michell only produced it since '73 - with an sme 3009/2 and compared it against a thorens td 125, one with an MG 1 airarm, and one with an sme 3009/3.
Overall - the transcriptor is very susceptible to resonance with the speakers, at very loud volume almost unplayable. The thorens start to resonate at levels about 10dB's higher.

The bearing noise is also a bit higher in the transcriptors then in the thorens.
The transcriptor is relegated to the guestroom, both thorens play in the main system.

Not a bad platform, but easily outperfomed.

Transcriptors Hydraulic Reference

Your correct, My father issued him a licsense to produce the hydraulic from 1973 to Novemeber 1977 when my dad cancelled the agreement, prior to Michell was just a local engineering company producing all sorts of components for various different companies including ourselves. As for my hydraulic it plays all day long next to my custom 4ft loudspeakers and Art Audio amplifiers., have even based the new decks on this idea which went down at all the hi-fi shows we did last year here in the UK.

Michael

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.