Transcriptors UK - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st November 2002, 01:36 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Magnetmaz
Question Transcriptors UK

Ever since i saw "Clockwork Orange" for the first time, i knew i wanted a transcriptors TT. Sadly, anytime i saw them on ebay they were around $600. ( and this is a rare occurence since- according to the designer when i asked him- only several hundred were made...)

I was in a vintage audio store a couple weeks ago and found a complete but disassembled "Saturn" model in the basement. So i picked up the parts, and boxed them up and shipped them off to the newly reopened Transcriptors, for Michael Gammon ( son of the original owner/designer ) to rebuild for me.

I expect the TT back in a couple weeks and i wondered what people's opinions were of transcriptors...if you've ever heard one, let alone seen one. How it sounded? It has the standard "Saturn" tonearm on it....should i mount an SME or something similar instead? Suggested cartridges ?

-maz
Old 21st November 2002, 02:11 PM   #2
diyAudio Senior Member

Default TRANSCRIPTOR

Hi,

Click the image to open in full size.

I can't remember having actually listened to one of these but as far as the arm goes it looks lightweight so a high compliance MM such as a Shure would work.

Cheers,
Old 21st November 2002, 03:14 PM   #3
Werner is offline Werner  Europe
diyAudio Member

A Vestigal arm, probably, with its vertical bearing located in the headshell.

I wouldn't expect miracles of it, and indeed a budget MM with highish compliance seems suited.

Don't know about the Transcriptors Hydraulic,
but of the Michell Hydraulic quite a lot were built and sold. But they too fetch high prices
nowadays.
Old 15th January 2003, 05:27 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Default Transcriptors

I had one of these in the 70's an original Transcriptors Hydraulic Reference, with SME arm and Empire 1000 zEx cartridge. My only complaint was the lack of suspension. By todays standards, not a great device. Sure looked cool, however.

Kent
Pass Labs
Old 15th January 2003, 06:43 PM   #5
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Default Re: Transcriptors

Quote:
Originally posted by cyclotronguy
I had one of these in the 70's an original Transcriptors Hydraulic Reference, with SME arm and Empire 1000 zEx cartridge. My only complaint was the lack of suspension. By todays standards, not a great device. Sure looked cool, however.

Kent
Pass Labs
Hey Kent,

That's funny. I had a friend who also had that TT but with an Audio Technica cartridge. It sounded great, but what sounded great to me back than might be a little scary today.

Rodd Yamashita
Old 15th January 2003, 08:35 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Rodd,

Back then I thought it was a device straight from the gods. I've never enjoyed an audio device more. Still, by todays standards it's not a good turntable. It is however still stunning to look at.

Maybe someone will sell me one with all the brushes and SME arm in really good shape.

Kent
Old 15th January 2003, 08:53 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

I also used to have the Hydraulic Reference with the freaky unipivot. It certainly sounded better than expected but more importantly was a great conversation piece. These days i keep a Trio L07 for these purposes, not sure if it sounds better, seldom listen to it.

cheers

peter
Old 16th January 2003, 05:19 AM   #8
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by cyclotronguy
Still, by todays standards it's not a good turntable. It is however still stunning to look at.
Even by the standards of the day it wasn't a great sounding table (i think mine cost me like $150 used). But it was sure purty and influenced the design of an aweful lot of other tables.

dave
Old 16th January 2003, 05:47 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by planet10

Even by the standards of the day it wasn't a great sounding table (i think mine cost me like $150 used). But it was sure purty and influenced the design of an aweful lot of other tables.

dave
I think it's main problem is that the disc is only supported by a couple of small points, which allows a lot of play in the LP/cart interface. It also makes it really susceptible to feedback. I've heard them howl in situations my Gyro, for instance, would be completely unfazed.
Old 23rd February 2004, 11:33 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Default Transcriptors Production Dates

Transcriptors Arm/Fluid Arm (1960 - 1973)

Transcriptors Sweep Arm/Stylus Brush/Stylus Scales (1960 - 1980)

Transcriptors Reference (1963)

Transcriptors Hydraulic Reference (1964 - 1973)

Transcriptors Hydraulic Reference (1973 - ?/ Produced under license by J A Michell)

Transcriptors Electronic Reference (1973 - ?/Produced under license by J A Michell)

Transcriptors Saturn (1968 - 1973)

Transcriptors Skeleton (1973 - 1977)

Transcriptors Round (1975)

Transcriptors Transcriber (1977 - 1980)

Transcriptors T6 (2003 - Present)

Transcriptors Spyder (TBA)

Hide this!Advertise here!