TT drive belt - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th April 2006, 12:14 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default TT drive belt

Hi all,

Anyone have a recommendation for someone who does good quality TT drivebelts. Needs to be 4-5mm flat belt (I think 526mm long) for an ariston RD80sl. The drive pulley is domed so I can't use round belt/mylar/dental floss etc etc.

Last belt I bought gives wow every few weeks until I talc it again then is OK.

Anyone any ideas?

Fran
Old 19th April 2006, 02:17 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

I got my last belt from http://www.lpgear.com/ and it worked well.
Old 21st April 2006, 03:58 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default DIY?

Why don't you make one using some old audio cassette tape? Splice with some scotch tape and adjust till you get the length right. This would be very quite as it has so little mass compared to a rubber belt. Cost you nothing to try. Seems to be the rage with mega dollar TT's these days. Regards Moray James.
Old 21st April 2006, 04:13 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

mmmmm..

never thought of audio tape. Was thinking of mylar type stuff alright as per the teres site.

I'll try it later tonight (hopefully) and report back. If I remember rightly there used to be a little gizmo that you could use to splice tape together. Kind of a <$10 item.

...... 5 mins later......

I suppose I'd need a bit of tension on this... might make two and see what works.

Anyone out there done it already can give me pointers?

Fran
Old 22nd April 2006, 12:09 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Well just do what you're told. It works well and is indeed very quiet. I glued mine with 'liquid super fast hardening glue' ('Secondenlijm' 'secondsglue'..)
Old 22nd April 2006, 12:40 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

OK, made the belt from some audio tape.

Impressions - very fiddly to get the right length but easy to splice, but the real stumbling block was that at the right length it is impossible to fit it on my ariston RD80 TT -(think LP12 clone). The suspended chassis makes it difficult to use one of these as a drive belt, but also on this TT, the motor pulley for 33 RPM is below the 45RPM pulley and so you have to force it over the big pulley and then down to the smaller one - not easy! The resulting tension also played heavily on teh motor bearing which became very noisy.

After about an hour or so, about 5 tape belts, increased motor noise, and the air blue with language, I went back to the rubber flat belt.

My next step will be to give the surface of the belt a rub with some sandpaper to roughen the surface a bit and hopefully add a bit more grip.

I can see how this type of belt would be excellent for TTs with separate motors eg teres- but for LP12 TD160,and ariston owners I don't think its the way to go.

Thanks to those for the help - when I eventually make my DIY TT tape drive is the way I'll go for it

Fran
Old 22nd April 2006, 04:38 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Default A for effort!

Sounds like you made a valliant effort to make this idea work. If you are going to be using your 45 rpm pully then you are stuck with the problem of the fixed motor mount. However if you were going to use 33.3 rpm only then the tape could be assembled right on the hub and pully with some effort. That way you could get the tension right and go, as long as you did not plan to change speed. You could at least run this way for a while and get a good feel for how the audio tape sounds. Thanks for putting in the effort to try out this idea and for letting us all know how it went. Best regards Moray James.
Old 22nd April 2006, 04:29 PM   #8
tubee is offline tubee  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Fran: To refresh the top layer of hardened rubber, its possible to clean the old belt with clean raffinated petrol, ("wasbenzine" in dutch) but regular automobile petrol works also (exept for the smell)
Result is better than with sand paper, the belt will have grip again.

An other idea: (let) make a new pulley with small grooves on motor spindle to fit a thin round diy belt of elastic clothing fibre.
Old 23rd April 2006, 08:32 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Thats a good idea.

Actually since I started this topic I went back and managed to unearth a copy of the manual for the TT and it actually says in the manual that if you get wow you should clean the belt with some lighter fluid and then coat with the chalk supplied.

So lighter fluid is kerosene I think, which I would have, do you think I should use talc or not?

Talc would seem to make the belt smoother? but yet at the moment it does take the wow out when it occurs.

what do you think?

Fran
Old 23rd April 2006, 08:45 PM   #10
tubee is offline tubee  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Yes lighter fluid will do too
Try without talc first, you can do it later if you want.
(i am typing now on an Apple keyboard on a Windows PC, not used to that keyboard)

good luck

Hide this!Advertise here!