Technics SL-5 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th April 2006, 10:20 PM   #1
diyAudio Moderator

Default Technics SL-5

Well, today I scored one of these old linear trackers for free. I haven't had chance to power it up yet, but is there anything I should watch out for? I would also be interested if anyone can recommend a good cartridge or any sensible upgrades.
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 17th April 2006, 10:33 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

those things are awesome! i've wanted one for a while. the Technics LT decks were pretty sweet, more durable than most clones and similar gimmicky tables of the time i think. almost all of them had a P-mount cartridge, we replaced the one in my friend's SL-10(he won't part with it, sadly...) with a Stanton L720EE and it not only works flawlessly but for a cheap cart, sounds pretty damn nice too. i'm too cheap to pay a bunch of cash for a high end cartridge anyway. i dig the direct drive and quartz lock too.
Old 17th April 2006, 10:43 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I have an SL-7 lurking in the dust somewhere. Pity my vinyl collection is not up to much.

(no, I won't sell it )
Old 17th April 2006, 11:03 PM   #4
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

It's a natural for the EPC205C mk3 cartridge. Downside is a lot of subsonic noise.
Old 17th April 2006, 11:10 PM   #5
diyAudio Moderator

Well, that's a tad obscure. Three hits on google. Still, I like a challenge.

http://www.google.com/search?client=...UTF-8&oe=UTF-8
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 17th April 2006, 11:18 PM   #6
diyAudio Moderator

P-mount MM, came as standard on the SL-10. Second best cartridge I've ever owned. I used it on an SL-7.
Old 17th April 2006, 11:36 PM   #7
diyAudio Moderator

Ouch, they're not cheap are they! I might have to go for something a little more "budget" to start with.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TECHNICS-EPC-2...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 18th April 2006, 12:08 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Al,
Does it have the original P-mount cartridge?
Can one replace the stylus on these?

I remember when the P series came out. Didn't like it because it seemed proprietary, but it sure did offer easy mounting.

Been reading up on TT's lately, and the Pioneer linear, rebadged as a Phase Linear in the States.
Lyndon
The diagram halfway down this webpage blew my mind on that Pioneer!
http://www.arcticcorsair.f9.co.uk/au...r-pll1000.html
Old 18th April 2006, 12:32 AM   #9
diyAudio Moderator

That's the regular version, not the P-mount. Nonetheless... ouch. I think I paid about $200 each for the two I went through. Still, this might be fun to bid on to see if it could be gotten for less than the Buy It Now price.
Old 19th April 2006, 05:15 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Technics SL-5

Quote:
Originally posted by pinkmouse
Well, today I scored one of these old linear trackers for free. I haven't had chance to power it up yet, but is there anything I should watch out for? I would also be interested if anyone can recommend a good cartridge or any sensible upgrades.
Watch out for low or noisey (or indeed no) output from the deck. An early batch of SL5s had faulty signal relays in the base, and all should have been replaced by Technics. I remember a little guy from Japan doing ours in the shop (a long time ago!)while we watched - it was amazing, he was so fast, and did ??ten?? in a matter of what seemed minutes. Also, a replacement belt would be sensible, as probably a tiny amount of lubrication on the bearing. Remember, these beasties are the best part of 20 years old (and then some?) How time flies...

They came fitted as standard with the EPC24CS cartridge, an EPS24ES elliptical stylus was the first and only upgrade most people ever did, but Ortofon used to make a couple of ranges of T4P compatible cartridges - I don't know what they do now though.

Steve "I've been doing this too long" Cuthbertson.

Hide this!Advertise here!