Technics SL-5

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
those things are awesome! i've wanted one for a while. the Technics LT decks were pretty sweet, more durable than most clones and similar gimmicky tables of the time i think. almost all of them had a P-mount cartridge, we replaced the one in my friend's SL-10(he won't part with it, sadly...) with a Stanton L720EE and it not only works flawlessly but for a cheap cart, sounds pretty damn nice too. i'm too cheap to pay a bunch of cash for a high end cartridge anyway. i dig the direct drive and quartz lock too.

Al,
Does it have the original P-mount cartridge?
Can one replace the stylus on these?

I remember when the P series came out. Didn't like it because it seemed proprietary, but it sure did offer easy mounting.

Been reading up on TT's lately, and the Pioneer linear, rebadged as a Phase Linear in the States.
Lyndon
The diagram halfway down this webpage blew my mind on that Pioneer!
http://www.arcticcorsair.f9.co.uk/audio/kit/pioneer-pll1000.html

pinkmouse said:
Well, today I scored one of these old linear trackers for free. I haven't had chance to power it up yet, but is there anything I should watch out for? I would also be interested if anyone can recommend a good cartridge or any sensible upgrades.

Watch out for low or noisey (or indeed no) output from the deck. An early batch of SL5s had faulty signal relays in the base, and all should have been replaced by Technics. I remember a little guy from Japan doing ours in the shop (a long time ago!)while we watched - it was amazing, he was so fast, and did ??ten?? in a matter of what seemed minutes. Also, a replacement belt would be sensible, as probably a tiny amount of lubrication on the bearing. Remember, these beasties are the best part of 20 years old (and then some?) How time flies...

They came fitted as standard with the EPC24CS cartridge, an EPS24ES elliptical stylus was the first and only upgrade most people ever did, but Ortofon used to make a couple of ranges of T4P compatible cartridges - I don't know what they do now though.

Steve "I've been doing this too long" Cuthbertson.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
Thanks guys.

Well, I've got it running, and the first thing I noticed was it needs a new mat, the original one has ripples the size of Everest! I'm thinking felt, but I'm going to put it to one side until I have the time to strip it down and clean it up properly. The cart is the bog standard EPC24CS, and it sounds ok, but I'll see if I can get a replacement just on a matter of principle.

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Sl-5

Welcome to the DD world...! The SL-5 is a relative simple DD tt...and among the cheapest in this series. http://www.vintagetechnics.com/turntables.htm
But still, it is a gem ;-)

I tried Ortofon *X1 (high-out-MC), without success, also tried all the OMP (needle variants); not very involving/fun...

A good cart, like this (Stanton) / Pickering ; http://cgi.ebay.com/Pickering-P-Mou...ryZ64620QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
can really make a difference.
I use (on my SL-7) a similar Stanton 680 DJ-type, removed the glued extra weight on top, replaced needle to a "HiFi" needle... and: :cloud9:

Arne K

I'm the proud owner of a SL6 Technics turntable.
Despite it's age it's working well and its very reliable.
Throw away it's Technics cartridge and change it with a Shure or Stanton. I've mounted a Shure M series with P mount system for 100 euro ( if I remember well heshould be an M72).
With this upgrade the SLx can surclass many blasoned turntables
I'm dreaming about dismantling and reworking it for a DIY servo linear tracking turntable, (the arm it's a piece of cake !).

Ciao

cicero32

101er said:

My question therefore is would a PICKERING P-Mount cartridge with eliptical stylus do the job ?
Thank you .
Yes, all P-Mount cartridge does the job, I remember a Shure wich was a "normal cartridge" with a P-Mount adapter.I you find one of this you can use all cartridge you want.
Consider build one with an old P-type cartrige sawed near pins and a L shaped metal band.
Ciao cicero32

cicero32 said:

Yes, all P-Mount cartridge does the job, I remember a Shure wich was a "normal cartridge" with a P-Mount adapter.I you find one of this you can use all cartridge you want.
Consider build one with an old P-type cartrige sawed near pins and a L shaped metal band.
Ciao cicero32

I don't remember that style of adaptor, but I do know that there was a series of cartridges from many manufacturers that were P mount and had a standard adaptor for normal 1/2" mount.
P mount cartridges all weighed the same, all tracked at the same weight, and all had standard tip to mounting dimensions. This is what made them interchangeable.

Steve "much too old to feel this damn young" in Hull, UK
(with apologies to Garth Brookes...)

SL-7 PROBLEMS

I have just put in the new cartridge and stylus I paid $25 (why are some so costly ?? )for it and it sounds fine , it is missing the retaining screws , it works ok up to a point .
There seems to be an intermittant fault whereby the arm will correctly move to the begining of a record , start to play then for no reason return to its rest position and the deck will stop ,
this happens on both 7 and 12" records and at varying places on the record , also when you depress the play button and the deck begins to spin but the arm does not always move to the start of the record its like the arm mechanism is on a secondary take up which doesnt always activate.
So , my question is , is there a remedy \ adjustment ?
I like the styling and size of this deck and would very much like to keep it but not at any cost . Any help would be gratefully recieved .
( as an aside I also own a " the oak " turntable and I would like to get any information on it )
Many thanks .

Tecnics SL

If I remember well the SL family counts pause spaces via a photodiode.Correct sequence for arm should be :
explore all the disc.
Come back to beginning of the disk.
Count the no signal track and play.
There is an hidden screw selecting the landing point (ideally the midpoint of pause between tracks).
I should have manual of my turntable when I found it I cand send
a copy.In meantime control the photodiode can be a good idea.
Maybe it's only dirt.
Ciao
cicero32

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.