Interesting motor.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I found this interesting motor floating about:

http://www.yourgreendream.com/images/diy/fp_rw_orig.JPG

You can rewire it; 42 coils:

A bit of work...A bit more work...Lots of following instructions...

Looks like this

"So lets look at some key points on how it is originally. It has 42 coils of wire around the edge of the stator. If you trace the wiring you will notice that there are two "ends". At one end three wires are join together and at the other end the three wires come out sperately. This is what is know as wiring in a star configuration (the other option being a delta configuration which we will get into later). So there three wires going in, each wire connects 14 coils in parallel to the end point where all the wires join together. Each of these groupings of 14 provide different current flows at different times, each providing AC power but each one out of sinc (or phase), thus it is described as 300 volt, 3 phase AC generator."

"First of all we need to decide what voltage we want to convert it to. Most people either want to 12 or 24 volts. If you have a look at at the above diagram you can see that there are 3 sets of 14 individual coils. Each individual coil is capable of producing about 21 volts at full speed so 14 wired in parrellel are capable of producing about 300 volts (14*21). So for a 12 volt system it is a good idea to join them in sets of two, producing upto 40 volts, because we can get at least 12 volts at lower speeds. Then, wire these in series to increase the amps. (have a look at our electricity basics page for the effects of wiring in parellel or series)."

It might make an interesting belt drive motive source. Should have the mass. Might be fixable, in terms of a bearing. Machine something. Balance it out..and damp the rotating mass.

Forget Belt Drive.. that things for Direct drive.. BUT you will need a source of 3 phase power and likely a Speed control.
Check out Model Aircraft Vendors.. these things are Everywhere albeit at 12 pole rather than 40+ poles.. but essentially the Same.
A motor is only as good as it's bearings/balance inna Turntable.. Bet those aren't exemplary :)

Bare said:
Forget Belt Drive.. that things for Direct drive.. BUT you will need a source of 3 phase power and likely a Speed control.
Like I said, Shunting a capacitor across two of the phases will work; especially in circumstances like this.

A rheostat could be used as a voltage, and therby, speed control.

It's not true three phase power, but in a case like this where a heavy load is not expected I don't see the harm; this is done in industrial applications all the time (washing machines, e.g.). I'll check my resources, but I don't think that operating a three phase motor in this way will affect torque.

This would definitley be the most cost-effective way of operating it.

I, for some reason, keep thinking about this motor; perhaps because I envision retrofitting it to my Technics- re-designing the platter as the rotor, floating on a 7000 series bearing.

Could be less vibration than standard direct drive- could be more...(?)

Even wired as a 14-pole motor, AC frequency would need to be very low- around 4 hertz. It may be ok to wire it as a consequent-wound 16 pole, but E.L.F. AC would still be required. Depending on how the stator is wound, however, no sacrifice in torque would be made.

If a VFD is needed, though, an inverter for three phase might as well be used.

Anyone else have any ideas?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.