The Ikea curtain rail air parallel tracking tonearm! - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 31st March 2006, 09:43 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Hello

I have exactly the same project as you and with a curtain rail.
I have not yet the pump, but as soon as I can I begin the tests.

Best regards, Charles.
Old 31st March 2006, 10:58 PM   #12
forr is offline forr  France
diyAudio Member

A curiosity : the Marantz parallel tracking tonerarm, having no servo.
Pictures here :
http://www.soundfountain.com/amb/ttrabco.html
http://www.classic-audio.com/marantz/SLT.html
Old 1st April 2006, 04:04 PM   #13
pixpop is offline pixpop  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to pixpop
This is the most commonly available air bearing I've been able to find. I believe it's carried by McMaster Carr. They list the 1/2 inch version for $202 US. New Way air bushings

I spoke to their local rep (Southern California) about noise levels, and he said that they are silent in operation. The airflow is extremely low (about 5 SCFH) at about 60 psi. But that is for a 10 pound load. For a tonearm application it would be potentially much lower.

The rep told me that this bearing was used by a European turntable manufacturer, but was unable to say which one. I wasn't aware of any air bearing tonearms that fed air into the sliding part. Of course, there's much I'm not aware of

To use such a bearing, you would need an extremely flexible tube to supply air to the bearing. I seem to remember a thread on diyAudio where a source for this was mentioned.

This bearing could also work as a spindle bearing. They sell a mounting block for it that would make mounting simple. You would still have to provide a thrust bearing, perhaps the usual ball on a teflon disc would suffice. For some speed controllers, the absence of friction might actually be a problem though..
Old 1st April 2006, 11:03 PM   #14
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Might take a look at the Souther linear tracking arm as well. Did not use air bearing or electronics. I have one friend who has been using one for at least 15 yrs now on a Merrill TT and no particular problems.
This might be a fairly easy design to emulate or improve upon without the need for air bearings..
Old 2nd April 2006, 03:31 AM   #15
soeren is offline soeren  Greenland
diyAudio Member

The Poul Ladegaard tonearm is the best solution to your problem and has been well described in this forum.

Søren
Old 2nd April 2006, 05:29 AM   #16
Variac is offline Variac  United States
diyAudio Editor

The Ladegaard arm is brilliant!
Old 2nd April 2006, 09:14 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by pixpop

The rep told me that this bearing was used by a European turntable manufacturer, but was unable to say which one. I wasn't aware of any air bearing tonearms that fed air into the sliding part. Of course, there's much I'm not aware of
I believe it is Kuzma using these air bearings. I've looked at those but the biggest problem I foresee is the high required air pressure (and the price)

I actually now bought an MG1 but still will try to make a DIY version. The Ladegaard has been done may times so that is not so interesting.

But building something like the souther is an interesting idea, It looks like two small stainless steel wheels run over a wire, maybe someone has seen better pictures than these: Pictures

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 2nd April 2006, 10:17 PM   #18
tvi is offline tvi  Australia
diyAudio Member

The patent for the Souther arm

LINEAR TRACKING TONE ARM
Patent number: US4346467 date: 1982-08-24
Inventor: SOUTHER LOUIS C
http://v3.espacenet.com/textdoc?DB=E...&QPN=US4346467

Hope this helps

regards
James
Old 3rd April 2006, 07:29 AM   #19
harhaug is offline harhaug  Norway
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by pixpop

Yes, but that's exactly what happens in a conventional pivoted tonearm. If you watch a conventional arm tracking an eccentric record you'll see it happily moving the counterweight back and forth. Same problem, really.

I don't think an air bearing inherently has greater effective mass, although some specific arms might. For starters, the arm could be shorter, and hence less massive, than a pivoted design.
The horisontal effective mass of an air-bearing tonearm is the total mass of the whole tonarm + bearing (moveable part). This will easily be in the 50 -100g range. (I recall having read about a Ladegarrd arm loaded with several 100g of additional mass). On poorly centered records, such a heavy mass will make the stylus cantivlever flop back and forth with a large amplitude - unless one uses a really stiff cartridge. On the other hand, a conventional pivoted arm has a horisontal effective mass in the range 10 - 20g and will consequently track off-center records much better.

- Harald
Old 3rd April 2006, 10:46 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

From the souther I do not like that it rests on the spindle, might generate some additional noise. Also the patent looks more complicated than I expected.

Here's a description from the airtangent describing some of the theoretical advantages of the principle: Air tangent 2000

This one might also be quite easy to make: Opus 3 Cantus
Click the image to open in full size.

Hide this!Advertise here!