cartridge load check - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th March 2006, 09:26 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

the amp is an audio innovations 300 mk2. I can save you the trip, there is absolutely nothing out there on this amp! Audio innovations also made other amps that are very well known - the presence of this one is acknowledged, but thats it!

its a 10W PC push pull with the preamp bit as mentioned above and then 4 ECL86 also.

Sorry for not being able to quote more figures.. but I just don't have them. There is a schematic at http://www.drtube.com/schematics/ai/ai300mk2.gif

but it doesn't show the phono stage..

Fran
Old 27th March 2006, 12:19 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by woodturner-fran
thanks to all who responded - especially mosfet owner for the laymans terms.... the current cart I have is a grado gold MM - using the 47K load. As above, when I measure this, I get 42K, so I suppose I shouldn't be worried about this from what you're saying.

I've also just bought a Denon 110, lower output (1.6mV) and the lit says 160ohms. When I measured the "lo" I got 14K.... much more than the 160 quoted. Will it a) do the denon any harm? and b) is the 160 quoted a kind of minimum figure, or should I be investigating swapping out some resistors?

again, thanks in advance

Fran
I've downoaded the Denon DL-110 manual from the Vinyl Engine website to look at. The 160 ohms is the impedance of the cartridge, and the load resistance that they specify is 'more than 47kohms', so in essence they are specifying a 47k load. They aren't specifying the required load when they state that it's a 160 ohm cartridge, so you don't need to match that impedance. I'd try the high impedance phono input on your amp first, since it is most likely for a 47k load for a MM cartridge, like the Grado. Because the Denon DL-110 is a (relatively) high output MC cartridge, it should be OK into the same input as you use for your Grado. It's designed to be plugged into a MM phono input. From the manual, it says it can be "connected to the MM position of the amplifier without step up transformers or head amplifiers", so it's meant for the same input as you use for your Grado.

You shouldn't damage your cartridge if you plug it into your amplifier, unless the amp designer has done something silly like omit the input capacitor from the preamp. As it hasn't blown up your Grado cartridge, you can take it that it should be OK! As the owner of several Denon MC cartridges, I think you've made a good choice - they sound wonderful!
Old 27th March 2006, 01:27 PM   #13
anatech is offline anatech  Canada
diyAudio Moderator

Hi Fran,
Quote:
the presence of this one is acknowledged, but thats it!
Now that is annoying. Will they send you an owners manual if you contact them (possibly a full schematic too)?

So in this case, you will set up for a MM load. If they are worried about capacitance, add the figure of the TT wires to the input capacitance of the preamp. You may need to add some. In the event they are no figures, this can be measured with a good LCR meter. Compare the figure you have with the spec for your cartridge.

I can't tell you how many guys went to low capacitance tone arm wire and interconnects and didn't compensate in the preamp. The charges for this were in to $300~450 CDN range (for the wire swap!).

-Chris
Old 27th March 2006, 04:51 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Again, many thanks for the great knowledge and advice here!

The company have changed tack since they made my amp... they now do "lifestyle" hifi products. A couple of emails to see would they have manuals for sale got no reply, so I think that source is closed.

The plan is, as you said to use the MM input.

Hey mosfetowner, as an denon owner yourself, can I start getting excited about replacing the grado?

Fran
Old 31st March 2006, 11:06 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Well, as it happens, I've got a Grado cartridge, too - a Grado G+ modified with a Garrott Brothers Weinz parabolic stylus. It's roughly equivalent to a Grado Silver cartridge, according to Grado. While my two Denon cartridges (DL-103D & DL-304) are worth quite a bit more than a DL-110, or a Grado Gold, my understanding is that all of the Denon MC cartridges are highly thought of, and should be better than your Grado. On the Needle Doctor website, he refers to a few reviews which seem to think the DL-110 sounds very good, and much better than the price of it would suggest. That seems to be the case with most of the Denon MC's, which usually compete with cartridges which cost a lot more.

Amongst other things, the Denon has a 'nude' stylus tip, which means that the whole stylus, rather than just the tip, is made of diamond. That means that the weight of the stylus assembly should be quite a bit less than that of the Grado, and it should track better. So, while the Grado can possibly be rated as sounding 'good', the Denon would probably be rated as 'very good'. While many MM cartridges, apart from the most expensive, can sound slightly harsh in the high frequencies, MC's often sound very much sweeter in the high frequencies.

Hide this!Advertise here!