Papst Induction Motor.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have got hold of a NOS Papst Induction motor for my DIY Turntable. I had high hopes that this motor would end my search for a suitable motor but alas no. When I wired it up it sounded like a bag of nails. With nothing to lose I striped it down and discovered that one of the (roller) bearings was duff. Now the easy option would be just to replace the bearings with identical items, but do you think it would be worthwhile converting to plain bearings?

I have found something promicing on the SKF site but they would need some bushes making as the OD of the plain bearings is to small.

Has anyone got a similar motor? Has it got roller or plain bearings? Any comments would be welcome. The bearing in the second photo is not fully seated on the circlip by the way.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Paul.

Hi,
it, a bit difficult to tell from the pic but that lower one looks more like a sealed ball bearing.

I think an accurately reamed plain bearing will be quieter.
The difficulty will be finding a precision machining shop able and willing to do it for you.
One of the bronzes would be good, ask a metalurgist.

The ball will last much longer, but if you oil the plain fairly regularly it may last a while.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.