Fungus 'amung us' - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th March 2006, 06:05 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Fungus 'amung us'

well, in the continuing saga of vinyl i have managed to acquire about 400 classical LP's issued by CBS in the 1970's and early 1980's --

some were stored "poorly" -- and have a fungus which those of you who have used and stored 35mm slides will be aware of --

any suggestions for removal --
Old 15th March 2006, 06:48 PM   #2
bob_v5 is offline bob_v5  England
diyAudio Member

Nevr witnessed this fungus before. What about soaking them in warm water then wiping it off? Not too warm tho, dont wanna melt them!! You can buy anti fungus bathroom cleaner, its safe with bathroom plastics so i imagine it would be with records. I would recomend that whatever you do you play them on a rubish turntable first incase there is still microscopic fungus particles in the groove.
Old 15th March 2006, 10:47 PM   #3
EC8010 is offline EC8010  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Hmmm. If you have acquired 400 LPs you can justify (and need) a record cleaning machine. My Keith Monks machine uses a 50:50 mix of distilled water and industrial methylated spirits (NOT the stuff with the purple dye). I had one LP with fungus; the RCM cleaned it beautifully. If you do a search, you will find various plans for making RCMs, although I believe there are some new ones available at reasonable prices. Essentially, it's only a turntable equipped with a vacuum cleaner and a nice brush.
Old 16th March 2006, 12:49 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Default Pressure washer?

Has anyone used a high pressure washer (one of those better domestic types with 2000-2500 PSI available) on plain but finely filtered tapwater, aimed at a dirty LP placed on a cheap turntable outdoors just there to spin the disc? You would best keep the spray off the center label but you could really get deep grit completely out'a the grooves and no alcohol to dry the natural oils of the vinyl which are likely helpful if left there for record longevity. I'm thinking a close 3" attack at a 45 degree angle to the record surface in the direction inline of the groove rotation.

I've been meaning to ty this and if it works, clean a whole lot of LP's at the same time. Have to wait for a warm summer day though when I'm not busy trying to get something more urgent done.
Old 16th March 2006, 10:29 AM   #5
tubenut is offline tubenut  South Africa
diyAudio Member

I think you would still end up with the funny dried up water spots (like on photo film developed without wetting agent), perhaps add a wetting agent to your mix.
Also still not sure you will get everything out the grooves and what remais with water is like cement at the bottom of the groove...

Best use an RCM. KABUSA sell a Nitty Griity Sans Vacuum you hook up to your normal vac for about USD170 I think. The NG machines work OK but are hard work. A proper automatic RCM can can be had from Moth as a Kit saving some shekels...
Old 16th March 2006, 11:12 AM   #6
Netlist is offline Netlist  Belgium
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

I made the mix with Tergitol as described here and it works very well.
A note of warning if you plan to go that route: It's highly aggressive stuff, be careful with your skin and use in a good ventilated place.
Cleaning machine is Okki Nokki.

/Hugo
Old 16th March 2006, 11:36 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Fungus 'amung us'

[QUOTE]Originally posted by jackinnj
[B]well, in the continuing saga of vinyl i have managed to acquire about 400 classical LP's issued by CBS in the 1970's and early 1980's --

some were stored "poorly" -- and have a fungus which those of you who have used and stored 35mm slides will be aware of --

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I tried various methods but the most successful in removing mould is to spray with a propreirty bathroom seal mould remover, brush tangentially with a record brush, then rinse under a shower spray.

Remove excess moisture with soft tissue; let dry and you have a shiny disc that also plays very well, with no residual noise unless the groves are damaged in the first place.
Old 16th March 2006, 01:36 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

btw, last night I listened to Lenny Bernstein's rendition of Beethoven's 9th Symphony -- no mold on this one -- very quiet -- many of the records have never been opened.
Old 1st April 2006, 11:21 PM   #9
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

I wouldn't use a pressure washer on any LP I valued, considering what it can do to plastic and house paints I would assume it could do quite a lot of permanent damage to the relatively soft vinyl of an LP.

My few experiments with pressure washers in the past indicate that they are anything but gentle with the things they are washing.
Old 1st April 2006, 11:36 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

there ain't no easy way to say this, but,

a record cleaning machine is whats needed here. Beg, borrow or.. one, or go make your own as I did.

Cleaning solution 75% ro filtered water 25% high grade filtered isopropanol (aka propan-2-ol aka isopropyl alcohol) rinse aid at a rate of about 15mL per litre

I've tried a few of the methods out there and the wet wash/vacuum is one that gives you the silence between tracks, the open midrange and clarity vinyl deserves.

The word on the ground here is that the VPI is the best bang for buck

Fran

Hide this!Advertise here!