Linn Arm with Ortofon Cart

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi There All:

I'm using a Revolver turntable fitted with a Linn Basik LV X arm. I recently had a Grado Gold installed however I found that at the appropriate tracking force (1.5 g, as verified by the dealer) that it would mistrack - mostly sibliance on "hot" percussive records.

I took a listen to some other carts. I cheapened out and bought an Ortofon OM 5E. Mind you, to me it sounds quite solid, and the sibilance has gone away.

My only concern it that on my Linn arm, the VTF is set to 2.25 g. The dealer swears against anti-skating compensation, but I found that the best setting seems to be just above the 1.25 g setting on the anti-skating setting.

I'm concerned that to rid of the sibilance, I may be tracking the Ortofon too heavy. The cantilever on the stylus does bend upwards a little more than it did on my Grado. I just don't want to prematurely wear the stylus, records, or damage the cantilever.

Mind you everything sounds good.

Should I leave the settings?

Cheers,
Jody Thornton

As far as I remember the ortofon tracks best at approx. 1.7g, 2.25 seems to much for me. Anti skating compensation is naturally necessary, if you do not want to take to much VTF.

But, please, take an cheap Audio technika cartridge at least, a small Linn would be appropriate. Maybe you should have used more tracking force on the Grado.
(Grados are btw often sold with slightly bent - and corrected - cantilevers, the "dealers" then advise on low VTF...)
I can also recommend the Goldrings, still within the budget. But an AT95 (=Basik) is minimum.

VTF on Linn Arm

First, what concerns me, is that the dealer set it up on the heavier side. Secondly, on lower settings (ie. 1.5 g) the sibilance does indeed return.

I wonder if the VTF counterweight is off. I find that when I reset up the arm myself, the floating postion is at 1 gram. It should be "0" right? So maybe in actuality, on my counterweight, I'm actually tracking much lighter. Just hard to tell that's all.

Cheers,
Jody Thornton

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.