low cost tonearm rewire - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th March 2006, 11:31 PM   #21
JesseG is offline JesseG  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
From ericpeters
I've twisted them slichtly after exiting the arm but I've put a separate shield around it wich was connected to ground.
Thot so So, what did you use for shield?
Did you ground at both ends, or just one?

Quote:
From nuvistor
Note that insulation can't be removed by soldering iron with these small wire gauges, I've scraped them with a small knife, any better suggestions?
I think it would depend on whether the insulation is laquer or enamel. But, I would try dipping the end in paint remover for a half hour or so, then draw thru steel wool. That should melt the coating, then brush it off. To get it really clean afterwards, I have used jewelery cleaner (you know, the stuff they show off on TV by dipping a penney in it - I use it all the time) , then water.

Jess
Old 29th March 2006, 08:10 AM   #22
fergs1 is offline fergs1  Australia
diyAudio Member

greetings I was under the impression that the best way to remove the enamel from the ends is to use a match and flame it of and then a quick wire wool and away you go
cheers fergs
Old 29th March 2006, 10:03 AM   #23
diyAudio Member

The shield is connected to the ground wire at the tonearr end only. The ground cable is connected to the pre-amp case (not the phono stage) from trial and error this was the best result in my setup
Old 29th March 2006, 10:42 AM   #24
dnsey is offline dnsey  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I would try dipping the end in paint remover for a half hour or so, then draw thru steel wool.
but be very careful of the noxious fumes evolved by the remaining traces of stripper when you heat the wire to solder it
Old 29th March 2006, 11:49 AM   #25
diyAudio Member

you can try burning the insulation with flame(not too strong). with lacquer it works...
Old 29th March 2006, 04:09 PM   #26
JesseG is offline JesseG  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
From ericpeters
The shield is connected to the ground wire at the tonearr end only. The ground cable is connected to the pre-amp case (not the phono stage) from trial and error this was the best result in my setup
Thanks ericpeters - I have been considering rewiring my mouse cable rewire to run continuous from cart to phono stage input, and will add grounded shield to this new one.

I wouldn't have thought of grounding to the pre instead of the phono stage - I am going to try this also.
Old 8th May 2006, 12:41 PM   #27
tubenut is offline tubenut  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Having recently acquired an Ipod shuffle to use at the gym, I have been looking at headphones a bit.
It seems that most earbuds, even the cheapest use copper litz wire, often claimed to be OFC.

As per a previous suggestion to use this as tonearm cable, is it believed to be an upgrade over say stock Linn Akito wire?
Just something to use if you have a broken wire?

I quite like the idea as Litz tends to be liked as an audio conductor and the hphone application (portable) has great flexibility as a requirement.

Would one strip the outer plastic insulation off and run inside the arm just the enamelled litz?
Old 14th May 2006, 05:26 AM   #28
lancer is offline lancer  Singapore
diyAudio Member

Default 0.1 mm

I rewired my RB 250 with enamelled solid core copper wires. Twist pair of wire on a drill and for removing lacquer on ends (soldiering purpose) twiddle wire on fingers and
scrap with hobby knife. I must say I had very good results and with minimal cost outlay.
Old 14th May 2006, 08:12 AM   #29
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Hi,
what diameter/thickness?
Old 14th May 2006, 08:19 AM   #30
lancer is offline lancer  Singapore
diyAudio Member

Hello Andrew,

It's 0.1 mm diameter.

Hide this!Advertise here!