Vintage Tuners

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
johnthedoctor said:
Thanks for the tip jean-paul. The case is warmer than I'd like and was thinking about modding it just for that reason.

The buildup of heat was the reason these tuners were dumped here in the Netherlands. First factory mod was a 3 or 4 mm alumunium sheet under the transformer to cool it ;)

I made a new power supply pcb with larger heatsinks and separate 15 V regs for each section that had the same outline and mounting holes as the original pcb. I modded 4 AT93 tuners with them that still work today.

Unfortunately AKAI was in the stubborn opinion that decoupling caps were not that necessary. So the tuner can use some extra caps at the rails. Certainly the display supply can use some decoupling as it sometimes flickers.

FM Tuners don't get much more vintage than this Pilot model:

Attachments

• pilot_tuner.jpg
    pilot_tuner.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 931
IMHO Leak throughline, early mono one with good quality stereo decoder (not the leak internal stereo decoder though).

I also rate the Rogers T75 which is a nice item and can be picked up cheap (the Rogers T100 is very good but extremely rare).

A later tuner maybe try the sony 3ES tuner (I know cheap and sony but very very good but not quite that vintage sound)....

The early sensui tuners look good and sound very good.

Don't rate revox ones at all but it's all personal opinion.

John

Hi newbie123

I use a Leak Troughline 11 tube tuner, sometimes rated 'the world's best tuner'! Hey, hey, I'didn't say it, I read it somewhere and only wrote it! Seriously, after this potential rat's nest statement, I like it for it's sound (I left it mono) and its gold and brown oldtimer styling, the flywheel effect tuning knob and it's 'magic eye'.

And I'm lucky enough to drive it with a Leak Stereo 20 tube amp.

Good weekend to ye all!

bulgin

If you can find one, the monitoring receivers made by Decca Special Products for the BBC and other broadcasters are very good indeed. Relatively modern (drift-free) tuner design, and a pretty good stereo amp (some with an excellent phono stage and/or balanced ins and outs) built in.

Hi All,
I can add my bit for the Leak Troughline 2. bought one on EBay in the UK got it sent to a company called One Thing Audio to add a new stereo decoder, a service then sent to me in Australia (ouch, the postage cost) but it is one of my best purchases. And will only grow in value, but mine will stay with me until the grave :)

tuner

The old QUAD AM tuner which was originally sold as part of the all valve Quad 22Control unit/QuadII power amps combination, is rated very highly. The FM tuner which also came with these is also worth seeking out - it was mono, but can easliy be made to produce stereo by using an add-on stereo decoder.

It might also be relatively easy to pick up, as most people are only interested in the power amps, which are also excellent by the way. If you can get the whole set, then it makes life easier in terms of power supplies.

have always build my own fm receivers since the 80's. Could never be impressed by the ready made ones. Used an air cap. trimmer(4section with mosfet gain) with a mosfet mixer and an ultra flat passband coil IF section. The IF demodulator is a low dist. 1. The Stereo decoder is super wide sounding. Every 8/10 years I change the electrolyte caps and wiring(audio path lines). The funny thing....comparing it with a modern high end tuner from Sony shows the own build 1 has no problems with a Class D amp being very nearby. The Sony will have some noise when the Class D power amp is placed under it.

Hi BGT,

---have always build my own fm receivers since the 80's. Could never be impressed by the ready made ones. Used an air cap. trimmer(4section with mosfet gain) with a mosfet mixer and an ultra flat passband coil IF section. The IF demodulator is a low dist. 1. The Stereo decoder is super wide sounding.---

Diy FM tuners are so rare. Can you detail a bit more on the IF section, the demodulator and the stereo decoder of your home-made tuner and tell why they perform well ?

forr,

linear phase IF filters(6 IF coil transf.'s) followed by a HA12412 FM IF amplifier with linear phase quadrature detector system followed by a KB4437 pilot cancel decoder and some pilot tone filters from Toko are just some very good stuff available in the late 80's by Ambit-England. Have build them in every possible setup with air caps and pin diodes and a lot of different IF IC's and detectors and stereo decoder chips. Did not have the money then to afford a Revox tuner, so tried to equal it with a self build 1. And in my major setup with Class D amps. I still use it in preferrence to the highend Sony tuners I have. The sound is so........warm/wide. The Sony's are more dull sounding. The stereo of the home made tuner is................just awsome(soundstage). You do hear the difference of the recorded material.
The tuners were made in the 80's and are nothing fancy from the outside. Everything inside is canned. And never a noise/disturbance in the sound.

forr said:
Thanks, BGT, for the details. Which was the Revox tuner you refer to ?

Could have been a B760 but I am not sure. It had a very modern setup for its time. Lot of HF sections(frontend), I believe 8 with varicap tuning. Ah well...time flies.
I was not charmed by the varicaps, preferred the true variable air cap. because of superior Q for selectivity. But varicaps are essential for synth. tuners. Made them also and they worked ok.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.