mdc-800 tone arm

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello Everbody.I'm new to this site ,still sorting My way around.
I have gotten hold of an old Linn Sondeck lp12 and it has a black tone arm marked MDC-800,made in U.S.A. Has anybody got any info on it and how I might get a lighter counterweight??
Any service or owners info would be very helpful. Thanks Wayne

Hi,

apparently made by Sumiko:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

apparently much sought after and expensive, ~ $1,200.

(shown with non-standard arm lead)

Edit : possibly get a metal worker to skim a layer of metal off the back of the counterwieght ?
or find someone after the heavy counterweight who has the light counterweight ?

:)/sreten.

Hi,

I've now remembered I'm actually familiar with the arm when it was sold.

It has not been made for a long time.

Its was hideously expensive, and claimed to be "the best arm in the world".

One feature I remember is the arm tube is filled with granules for damping.

:)/sreten.

RE:Sumiko MDC 800 arm

I not sure this will get posted as the other thread is very old but do you still have the 800 and the heavy weight sreten? as I have an 800 the ARm also and could use the heavy wieght if you havent ground it down? As mine says X on it but I am not sure what wieght that is mdium or light? thanks

This was, and likely still is, a superb tonearm. However, it is not a good choice for the LP12 due to its overall weight. At the time that these were new, a number were fitted locally (NZ) to SOTA Sapphire turntables. These were a four spring suspension turntable that had a little bag of lead shot in the tonearm corner so that the suspension setup/frequency could be maintained constant regardless of the tonearm weight.

When the MDC800 was fitted to the LP12, the suspension sagged precipitously and needed regular maintenance in order to have the approved Linn bounce.

RE: Sumiko MDC 800

Thanks Allan , for the added info . I am going to mount it on my Micro Seiki 1500 along with a couple of other arms maybe a Zeta and an HR100 but havent decided as I also have 2 Micro seiki 505 s arms as well as the Lustre 801. I have to play with them a bit to figure out the alignment before I decide on what to mount. I am really use to the vta on the fly so I will have to pick a cartridge that is to be mounted for quite a while on the 800 and the Zeta. Most likely I will never be able to find the extra arm weights for the 800 so I will have to see what arm will take the heaviest cartridges as some of the ones I use have good weight 10 -13g. I havent listened to the Zeta,800 or the HR100 yet but bought them based on old reviews. Cheers Daren

Hi, I'm from Indonesia. I have a Sumiko MDC 800. I want to change the interconnect between the tonearm and phono-amp. Do you know where I can find the starquad interconnect plug?

Attachments

• MDC 800.JPG
    MDC 800.JPG
    16 KB · Views: 145
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.