Cartridge rubber decomposed: Useless?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I just removed the stylus from an old Grado cart that I've been testing.

A whole mess of sticky decomposed rubber came out with it. Is this material supposed to be part of the stylus, or the cartridge? Is there any point in fitting a new stylus?

I think there is some left inside the cartridge body that I would have to clean out.

I've read in other threads that there is usually some rubber, and that it degrades over many years. I didn't get a clear idea of whether the degradation would be fixed by installing a new stylus.

It looks to me as though the bulk of the sticky mess is attached to the stylus assembly, but I can't be sure. I found this just as I was leaving for work, so will have to take a better look tonight.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2003
Oh dear, that sounds like the stylus "bearing" (which is rubber) has gone horrible and oozed. To be honest, although you could clean up the cartridge body, it's probably not worth it. Cartridge design has moved on and if you're going to have to spend almost as much as a new cartridge, you might as well get a new cartridge that's a more modern design. Unless, of course, you're especially fond of that particular cartridge?

No, the cartridge is not valuable to me. I've just been using it as a junker, before mounting my better (Shure) cartridge.

So, now I'm in the market for a cartridge to use on my experimental TTs. Currently, I'm using a Rega RB250, unmodified. I already have a Shure M97Xe, that's my main cart. I want to get at least one more cartridge for comparison.

I don't need something that sounds similar to the Shure.. I want to get a feel for some different cartridge sounds.

I'm wondering about Audio Technica AT440ML, or Grado Red, or Sumiko Pearl. Would any of these be a particularly good (or bad) choice?

Or some other cartridge?

At the moment, I want to stay away from MC cartridges.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2003
I'm afraid I can't comment on MM cartridges - the only MM I have is an Ortofon OM30 on my (mono) record player, and that's twenty years old.

My MC is an Ortofon Rohmann and I'm not convinced it was worth the money I paid for it. I liked its predecessor better (Ortofon Quattro with body removed).

WOAH...I don't think what your looking at is decomp rubber!!

I sold many a Grado back in the early eighties, and replaced quite a few styluses (styli ?), and ALL of them had a thick black viscous "stuff" in the gap the stylus came out of.

Think ferro-fluid dampning...don't clean it out !!!

Casey

Should it be stuck to the stylus when I pull the stylus out?

A little always seemed to, I wouldn't worry about it. The amount left in the cartridge body never seemed to be critical, a little goes a long ways. Naturally, if your replacing the stylus, the new one wont have any on it, so the amount gets less and less with each stylus change.

Ah OK, now I've found some info about it.

I think on my cart, some of it has dried out, so it looks like decomposed rubber, but it seems like way too much rubber for there to be in a cartridge. And the bulk of it is.. black goo.

So, I won't trash it just yet. I'll try to clean it up a bit, and put it back together, see how it sounds. Maybe I'll buy a new stylus first, since this one is so old.

Hi, the black gunge is a mechanical fixant/damper its not the damper and its not Ferro Fluidy stuff, and rumour has it Grados never sound quite the same after the stylus has been removed and then re-fitted.

I mentioned ferro-fluid not because I thought Grado used it, but rather that it performed a similiar function that the fluid provides for tweetwers...dampens resonance...I believe we refered to it as monkey dung :D

I never noticed a reduction in performance after stylus replacement.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
A new grado of comparable quality probably isn't going to cost much more than the replacement stylus. I have an ancient 8MR on an SME3009 II arm and I love it. In the past I have had the Monster Alpha, Sumiko Blue Point, Audio Technica (model forgotten) on a different arm/TT. (Audio Craftsman arm)

Why are you avoiding MC types, there are several HO models that sound quite good. I would recommend the Blue Point or one of its "improved" variants if you have a moderate to high mass arm otherwise stick with a somewhat higher compliance MM type.

Why are you avoiding MC types, there are several HO models that sound quite good. I would recommend the Blue Point or one of its "improved" variants if you have a moderate to high mass arm otherwise stick with a somewhat higher compliance MM type.

I wanted to avoid MC for two reasons:

1. I thought the output was too low to drive an MM phono stage.
2. I thought they would tend to be much more expensive.

My phono stage is a Pearl, by the way, and my arm is a Rega RB250. The arm is currently stock, though I am thinking of doing the OL upgrades. Just not sure whether it's worth it.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
The Sumiko bluepoint has very high output, in the same range typical for most moving magnets and ought to be a good match for the rb-250 arm which has moderately high mass. The BP tracks around 2 grams..
It's not the cheapest cartridge out there, but it is relatively inexpensive compared to high end mm types.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.