78 RPM recommendation anyone ? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th January 2006, 01:44 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default 78 RPM recommendation anyone ?

I got a stack (and I mean hundreds) of 78's from the estate of a deceased relative -- I have 3 TT's, none of which will crank to that speed. Any recommendations ?
Old 28th January 2006, 02:13 PM   #2
diyAudio Moderator

Not ideal, I know, but several years ago whilst aimlessly surfing the web I found a protools plugin that could take 78 records played on a 45 turntable and resample them for burning to a cd.
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 28th January 2006, 02:22 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Sounds familiar. My wifes aunt used to be in the radio business in Houston many years ago, she was the "Weather Angel" and did promotional ads. Her and her sisters made many recordings as the Britton sisters. She passed away last year, 84 years old and left with us her record collection, many LPs signed by the original artists. Anyway, I am in the beginning of transferring these to CDs and was having a hard time finding a turntable for 78's, looked around for several months. I found my first on the side of the road, an old Zenith and it worked perfectly. Then found another at my folks house in a closet, then I was just given another old Realistic, then another and another........

I have several of these things and found some more at the Goodwill store, all very resonable. If you don't see any out, ask one of the folks working there, they have things like old turntables floating around. Also, many of the old stereo consoles had 78 players in them. The needle for a 78 is much bigger than those of the 33s, but there are tons of sources. Look at ebay, then you can get the names and brands and hit the regular Inet vendors for better prices.
Old 28th January 2006, 02:44 PM   #4
Netlist is offline Netlist  Belgium
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

A bit pricey but the Thorens TD124 might be an option.
Also, Stanton still has the 681 cartridge with 78 stylus option.
http://www.stantondj.com/v2/prod_681eee.asp

/Hugo
Old 28th January 2006, 03:05 PM   #5
dnsey is offline dnsey  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Any of the Goldring Lenco GLxx series.
The speed is continuously variable too, so you can set it for each record (not all '78's were recorded at 78 rpm).
Old 28th January 2006, 03:09 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Pinkmouse is right. I use a simple but nice program called RIPVinyl which has a 45-to-78-RPM converter. You play it on 45, it converts to 78 for CD burning. Its about eight bucks and well worth it.

Kofi

Old 29th January 2006, 07:21 PM   #7
EC8010 is offline EC8010  United Kingdom

78: Garrard 301/401 (variable speed), Technics SP10 (fixed unless it's the BBC RP2-10 variant).
Old 29th January 2006, 09:08 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Take a look at DJ TT's. Strange but true, these have a 78rpm speed and varispeed. You will need that since some 78rpm are to be played at 80rpm (yes, there must be some logic).

The real investment will not be the TT but a fitting stylus. You cannot use a normal stylus to play a 78rpm as it will ride on the bottom of the groove in the dirt. Stanton has some cartridges that can be fitted with a 78rpm stylus. This isn't the ultimate one, but it is a generic form that will give better results that a normal hifi stylus. If you are serious about this, then a whole army of styluses will be needed.

I payed about as much for the TT as for the cartridge and stylus.

Oh, and they don't use RIAA correction, but something that varies according to brand and age.

Some lecture:
http://www.shellac.org/wams/wequal.html
http://www.rfwilmut.clara.net/repro78/repro.html

It is fun, but can be frustrating.
Old 30th January 2006, 03:08 PM   #9
Netlist is offline Netlist  Belgium

Here's some more interesting reading.

/Hugo
Old 30th January 2006, 03:15 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Ive seen Rega planar 78's on ebay, look exactly ther same as a Rega planar 3 (original one with square edges) but go at 78rpm. Maybe worth a look.

http://www.rega.co.uk/html/planar78.htm

Hide this!Advertise here!