Suggestions for a battery powered NON-balanced Mic Preamp?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey all, I hope you can help me...

I'm taking a 6-month backpacking tour of Europe next year. I have been making my own binaural recordings using a Marantz MD recorder and a pair of home made earplug mics using Panasonic WM-61 capsules.

While the quality I'm getting from this setup is terriffic, there is no way I'm lugging that recorder around with me! Besides, it chows batteries like mad.

So I bought a Creative Nomad Jukebox 3. I'll be putting a 60GB hard drive in it to replace he 20GB it comes with. This will hold most of my music collection, plus be able to record. It's the only high-tech device I want to have with me...

Anyways, this things does a pretty nice job of recording. It should serve me well in making good binaural field recordings all over Europe! Here's what I need from a mic preamp.

1. Unbalanced - It's only going three feet up to my ears. I'm already doing this with the Marantz with no detectable noise.

2. Portable - Perhaps two 9V batteries for a +/-9v split supply?

3. Provide at least 2V power to the panasonic capsules. This is easy, as I'm already doing this for the Marantz with a simple passive battery box.

4. Compact - I like the Altoids tin idea. I made a headphone amp with two 9V batteries in one.

What do you think? Would a premium op-amp be good enough or should I go discrete? I can do the op-amp design no problem, but my skills are not honed enough to do a discrete design myself.

There are lots of good schematics out there for mic preamps, but they are usually balanced.

Thanks for any help...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.