Thorens TD160 knocking sound

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

My late fathers thorens TD160 has had no real use for 15 years. On turning it on there is a low frequency knocking sound which is sync'd with the platter rotation. I cannot see anything fouling the platter underneath.

Q: anybody any suggestion on what this could be. Is this a typical symptom of bearing wear ?

Hi,
you can lift off the outer platter to give you access to remove the inner platter and examine the bearing spindle.
Just remove the belt through the little keyholes until it drops off the inner platter. Lift the inner platter rotating it side to side to help air into the bearing to release the spindle from the slight vacuum.
It's a bit more fiddly to reassemble the belt but you must ensure it stays oil free and it might be better to wear some gloves ( no grease from your fingertips). Check the belt for cracks and/or tears/nicks. It should be completely smooth. This belt fault will not coincide with platter rotation.

Clean out the old oil (if it's still there). Refill with a ml or so.
Place the inner platter back on and rotate it by hand to allow it to fall all the way down to the bottom of the well. The better the fit of the bearing the longer this will take. A worn bearing will take only a couple of seconds, a tight bearing might take as long as a minute. If you have added too much oil it will overflow out of the well so be prepared to mop up any excess before it spreads out all over the rest of the underside.

the pulley on a 160 is a plastic 2 piece unit...it has a spring inside and a brass collar on top ...this acts as a clutch

i have found on some td160s they need the pully removed and cleaned...a little oil on the top of the motor bearing ..and rebuild

as u put the brass lock collar on try pushing it down as u tighten the wee alan grub screw...and see if that helps

let us know and best wishes
j7

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.