Replacement for Aiwa 850 turntable

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Replacement for aiwa 850 turntable

Hi my Aiwa 850 turntable has just died. My dealer says that motor and power supply have both failed and motor cannot be replaced. He, also, advises me that I need a pre-amp fitted to any replacement turntable because of the output required.

The manual for my Aiwa Z-D9400M amplifier says that I need to use a turntabe with an equaliser amplifer fitted. The Phono inputs are rated at 500 mV or more.

I am pretty ignorant of these things but I am looking for a not too expensive replacement turntable with the required equaliser amplifier. I only really use the turntable occasionally to play my collection of 33/45 rpm records.

I am UK based so the turntable would have to be available in the UK.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2003
Re: Replacement for aiwa 850 turntable

billji said:
My dealer says that motor and power supply have both failed and motor cannot be replaced.

Really? He would need to be a proper electronics engineer with real test equipment and full circuit diagrams to make such a diagnosis, and two simultaneous failures like that are unlikely.

To get back to your problem, you have vinyl that you want to play. It's time to consider how much that vinyl is worth to you and how much you want to play it. If you only have 50 records, then the previous post makes a great deal of sense. If you have 500 records, then you ought to be thinking about something a bit better. Increasing quality makes turntables rapidly rise in price because they rely on mechanical engineering (which is more expensive than electronics), so why not buy second-hand? Garrard 301/401 are now expensive, but Thorens TD160 can often be had for a very reasonable price.

If you are careful, you could salvage the arm from your Aiwa and re-use it on your new turntable.

Even better, you could replace your existing motor and supply with one salvaged from a floppy drive (do a search on this forum), and keep your existing plinth and arm etc.

Oh, and welcome to the forum...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.