Linn TT motor

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I have just been informed that i have lost a pole on my Linn LP12 motor. Is there anything that can be done to fix this? I have ordered a new motor since i have already decided to flog the Linn* and figure that a fresh motor would make that easier.

If i can fix the motor i can then perhaps use it in one of my own creations.

*It is going because i need the money & i didn't make it myself.

dave

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Linn TT

Dave,

Short of having to whole thing rewound with fresh wire you can try to undo the windings on the suspect pole and carefully resolder the broken wire.
Take care not to cause any shorts on the underlying winding and after soldering reinsulate where you soldered with some polyurethane spray.

Good luck,:)

Frank,
:D

Dave,
doesn't Linn use those cheapo Airpax sycnchonous motors? I could ask Willi Bauer, local shop owner and TT manufacturer and former Linn representative, TMK, he used those motors so far for his TTs.

He may have an affordable sample for me; you get an MKV/maxon parcel from me anyway and i could tuck in the Airpax motor. Airpax is really cheapocheapo if not bought as spare part from Linn.

Before i forget it, you have used the worst-possible excuse to sell a Linn :) biased me, former Linn technicien extraordinaire :D

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
LinnTT

Bernhard,Dave

The original Linn LP12 motors where actually sourced from MBLE in Belgium (subsidiary of Philips).
I don't know to what group Airpax belongs to but I suppose it's the same family tree.
Anyway Dave,if you don't have the necessary winding machines you may just as well junk the thing (or keep it for spares).
Rewinding a thingie like that is a MAJOR PITA.
If I had a spare I would send it to you for free.:bawling:

Cherio,:)

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
dice45 said:
Before i forget it, you have used the worst-possible excuse to sell a Linn :) biased me, former Linn technicien extraordinaire

I was one of those in my day. I also sold a lot of them -- there was one month i personally sold 1/2 of all in North America (an estimate based on comments from the distributor).

This is something like my 14th LP12. I had already decided that the cash it would generate was more important than keeping it. They are a good beater TT and another will come around when i'm more flush.

It will also force me to resurrect a couple TTs i have downstairs -- a Thorens TD160 w a Mayware , a Unity Rotary Platform, and a mint ERA i was thinking of rebasing. I have a Syrinx, a Rega S & Hadcock unipivot. The last 2 both need rewiring & the Syrinx has no arm cable so may well get rewired too. The Hadcock could also get the Dice45 mods treatment).

I also have that LP12 bearing and inner platter you told me to forget about, but i think a corian platter 7 one of those Maxons might just make a decent cheap table.

Total investment in all of the above is $50 CAD + a spare TT wall mount which makes it serious Frugal-phile(tm) material. Build up a couple of the amps i have in the queue and an active XO and i'll be under a $1k for my whole hifi :D

dave

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
HADCOCK

Hi Peterr,

This a datasheet of the Hadcock G228 E unipivot.
My first "high end" tonearm BTW.

hadcock228b.jpg

Rgds,:)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.