Replacing a Grado Prestige Stylus - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th December 2005, 08:30 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Replacing a Grado Prestige Stylus

I am having trouble replacing my stylus on my cartridge. I have the matching Grado Stylus/Cartridge but feel like I'm going to break the Cartridge if I try and pull the old stylus out. I don't have any experience or instructions, just guesses. Help please!
Old 6th December 2005, 04:33 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

The Grado Prestige series are unique in that Grado supply a special plastic tool, which is shaped like a tuning fork, with each cartridge to remove the stylus. I have one for my G+ cartridge, along with Gradoís instructions on how to do it. If the cartridge is on its back, with the stylus facing away from you, the tool is clicked on at the rear of the stylus, with the two ďtuning forkĒ legs going down on either side of the cartridge. Then the tool is pulled straight out, up and back towards the rear of the cartridge to release the stylus. It pulls out at about a 45 degree angle to the bottom of the cartridge, towards the rear and up (with the cartridge lying on its back, remember). It actually comes out at roughly a 90-100 degree angle to the stylus cantilever, so itís quite strange. I assume that if you donít have the tool, you can probably still do it by pulling the stylus up and towards the rear of the cartridge, but canít try it out as I have mine in storage at the moment, and I donít want to get it out. Besides, I might damage something Ė Iíll let you try it out!!

A local Grado dealer, if you have one, may be able to help you, and may be prepared to lend you the tool if you take your cartridge in to them. Iíve never come across any other cartridges with replaceable styli that need a special tool like that, so presumably the Grado family are a bit eccentric! If you search around you may be able to find a cartridge instruction sheet somewhere on the web for Grado cartridges, describing how to do it. I had a look on the Grado website http://www.gradolabs.com , but couldnít see one there, and the Australian agent didnít have one on their website either, but possibly a dealer or distributor somewhere may have one that you can download to see how to do it. Unfortunately Grado seem to be committed more to producing good cartridges, than providing good, readily available instructions. The instructions for mine donít even tell you how to put the new stylus on, although they do describe how to get the old one off.
Old 6th December 2005, 05:14 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

I have a Grado cartridge which I found on the side of the road on a crappy Akai turntable. It had no stylus so I bought a new one.
I just pulled it out with the two little 'flanges' which stick out the sides and it came out no problem... maybe a little stiff.
I pinned the cartridge down (stylus side up) with my thumbs and levered it out with my finger nails.
I'm sure using the correct tool would be better, but you can do without it!
Old 7th December 2005, 04:05 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

I got some instructions from the Grado people after I had e-mailed them. It was simply just pretty stiff. It had presumably been on there for quite some time. I was not sure how strong the cartridges are so I didn't want to force it.

Thankyou!

Hide this!Advertise here!