Sharp RP117 turntable

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Everybody!
I'm new here and hoping I can get some help. I am looking for a Sharp RP 117 plays both sides linear tracking turntable. My Dad had one of these and gave it to me. My son used to play my old albums on it and loved it- he was about 12 yrs old. About 3 years ago we moved and my husband threw it out! We didn't think much of it, but now my son(almost 17) is really into the old albums and music and remembers this turntable. I really want to find him one. I have the owners manual and receipt from my Dad's! There is one on ebay now, but since she put it on she got an album stuck in it. She says she's pushed all buttons etc, but it won't eject. My son can fix just about anything, but I'm just not sure about this. ANY and ALL suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated!!!! Thanks in advance for your help!!
Alison

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Welcome Alison,

The only suggestion I could give you at the moment is try pulling the mains for a few minutes and try again. (with connected mains).
Since this thing...sorry...turntable :) seems to be old it might as well be some worn out rubber belts.
Meanwhile I'll move your post to Analogue, it might get more attention there.

/Hugo

I generally find with (stuff/equipment) like this, if it's made to a reasonable standard; you can (carefully!) take it apart, clean & lubricate everything, and so long as nothing is terminally worn out (if so can it be replaced/refashioned/bodged?) it'll work just fine when you put it back together.

Disclaimer! - the author accepts no liability whatsoever in the event of electrocution, knackered LP's, severed limbs, diy hazards - you get the picture; make sure you get a mega discount in case it doesn't work!

RP-117 Turntable

I have one of these that i am doing some searching for service manuals on. I am assuming its problem (will not maintain RPM) seems to be it's only problem

OVER ALL this machine is in excellent condition. If you are still looking, you may make an offer "as is" or after i have it repaired. Would appreciate your letting me know>

thanks Kurt

From Sharp minds...

I can't believe I found this forum (thanks to Google). I also can't believe that anyone still has an RP-117. I bought mine I think in 1985. I paid (at the time a lot of money for it, $250) but it was 'the future of vinyl playback'. It was a novelty and I thought it was cool since it treated records like CD's which, at the time, were commanding there way into the marketplace. Anyway, this turntable is not the most gentle in handling your records as the tonearm is literally dropped on the record. But I've had some sentimental attachment to it lo these past 20 some odd years.
I'm an AV professional and have breathed life into this turntable a few times. The first time was when the motor that operates the drawer quit. So I had to replace that (Thank you Radio Shack!) That would explain the stuck record problem. In the 90's I replaced the drive belt (what a job that was! That took care of the speed control problem) and the Styli (this puppy takes two at a time!).
Just recently the Sharp would exhibit speed issues again but then would start to play for awhile and then just retract the tone arm. It took me a while to realize it was a small 3.5" belt that ran the 'catch up' on the tangential transport. It proves my (or I think Murphy’s Law): "the least expensive part will render the most expensive part useless"
Well, thanks to Turntablebelts.com (yes that's a plug but I don't work for them) I was able to fix up my RP117 as good as almost new. And changing the belts was still a harrowing experience. What a job. I can change a belt on my BSR in 30 seconds. With all of the electronics in the way of the Sharp, it took me 3 hours! And this was my second shot at it (I swore I had bought the service manual from Pan-Son years ago, but who knows what I did with it.
Anyway, sorry for the long post. I guess you're wondering my point here but all I wanted to do was say hi (newbie) and expound about my experiece with the Sharp RP-117. Which for as much time and energy, I could've replaced with something brand new.
But it is fancinating to me how some technologies that perform the same service never 'take off'. Like Beta or VHS, HD or Blu-Ray.
Still when I take this machine apart and look inside I marvel at it's design and ingenuity. For 'in its day' it was a truly innovative product. Not to mention all the times I don’t have to get up and turn the record over.

I have the RP-117. I love it. I'm surprised no one will come out with a version of this using new, more stable technology. There are still plenty of vinyl lovers out there.

I haven't tested mine out in a while to see if it's still working. I have had it serviced once to replace an electronic component, and I hope it will never need servicing again, because I'm sure the parts are no longer available.

I love the way it finds "tracks" like a CD and plays both sides...

rpe94 said:
I have the RP-117. I love it. I'm surprised no one will come out with a version of this using new, more stable technology. There are still plenty of vinyl lovers out there.

I haven't tested mine out in a while to see if it's still working. I have had it serviced once to replace an electronic component, and I hope it will never need servicing again, because I'm sure the parts are no longer available.

I love the way it finds "tracks" like a CD and plays both sides...

Yes I'm a vinyl lover also. Unfortunately, my trusty RP-117 finally bit the dust after many fulfilling years of service. The problem of stopping in the middle of play came back only after a few months after replacing the O-ring I purchased from turntables.com. I actually bought 2 belts (one for a spare) and tried replacing with the other one but the RP-117 would still stop in the middle of a record. It was really annoying so one day I tried to repair it myself and inadvertently broke the guide wire. Oh well, now it's really broken. :bawling:
I tried to find the part or even a repair shop, but this turntable is just too old.
One interesting point here however for all of you who consider themselves 'audiophiles', I replaced the Sharp RP-117 with a Denon DP-300F. Wow what a difference! I have realized now how much rumble the RP-117 had. After all, it relies on the thickness of the vinyl to be its platen. I heard the difference right away with the Denon.
I suppose the flip side to my story (pun intended) is that sometimes we trade off sound quality for innovation and automation. Sure, it is cool to program the RP-117 like a CD player, and for its time it was a great turntable, but as far as its audio quality, I realize now it had a lot to be desired.
Besides, I can use the exercise getting up to turn over the record !
;)

Sharp RP-117 drawer gear

Just picked up a Sharp RP-117 at Goodwill today for $5.99, and it had the drawer gear problem (the drawer would not close all the way).

So I disassembled the unit and unscrewed the motor/gear assembly for the drawer (this is under a black plastic shield directly in line with the spindle, toward the rear of the turntable drawer).

When I lifted the motor I could see the small wheel-type gear connected to the shaft that is supposed to "walk" up and down the gear track had split. This is a common failure for that type of gear.

If your drawer won't open or shut all the way or at all, this gear may have fallen of or broken in half. Since mine was only split in one spot, I used a fast-acting epoxy to glue the gear back to the shaft and it fixed the problem. Just thought I'd mention this repair in case it is the same for anyone else who eventually searches for this.

RP-117 - I still have it in the original box

I had this serviced once or twice, and haven't used it in several years. When I set up my remodeled media room, I will have this in use once again. My question is after all these years, I'm guessing I may come across playback issues. Should I try fixing it myself, or risk letting an electronics appliance repair shop tinker with it (I lost my very expensive top of the line (1984) GE VHS VCR this way,,,,,because they screwed up a part that wasn't available anymore0. Does anyone have experience finding parts that aren't available anymore in case I need parts for this (or hopefully someday can ressurect my aforementioned VCR - I loved it).

What does everyone else think?

Thanks,
Ray
Boston, MA

Hi,Im new as well.Just registered to say we have a Sharp ST 117 stereo,with the linear turntable,but being in New Zealand,freight would be too much,plus apparently my son says wont play.Ive already fixed it once[what a job].top stereo in their day,Ian[ps,I really love mucking around with stereo gear,of all sorts

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.