Opinion On This Motor Please

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I found this motor while searching the web, and was hoping someone would have some experience/opinions...

http://www.myhurst.com/hurstmfg/qseries.jsp?series=Series+SA,+SB+Direct+Drive+Synchronous+Motor

.. its model number 4018-003, the sixth one down. I plan on building a variable freq. power supply, and think the 24vac would eliminate a step up transformer (less distortion) after the oscillator. It looks pretty good to me, ball bearing and 1/4" shaft.

It sells for $79.95 direct from Hurst.

Any thoughts ?

Hi,

I'd of thought sleeve bearings would be quieter than ball races.
I also think a Hi-torque rotor is completely unnecessary.
Also think the sleeves for a 1/4 shaft would be noisy -
compared to the sleeves for a much thinner shaft.

Just my quick opinion.

:) /sreten.

Hi Sretin]

I'd of thought sleeve bearings would be quieter than ball races.

I hadn't thought of that. I was thinking the ball bearing would be more reliable with the side thrust forces of a heavy platter. Probably not that big of a consideration though. I suppose the ball bearing would be a bigger advantage with a high speed motor.

I also think a Hi-torque rotor is completely unnecessary.

Agreed...I was actually thinking I could reduce the voltage quite a bit with such a high torque motor. The question is whether a high torque motor at say 30% power is quiter than a low torque motor at 100%.

Also think the sleeves for a 1/4 shaft would be noisy -

I really like the idea of the strength (less flex) of the larger shaft...the question I suppose is which is quiter on the larger shaft, bushing or ball..hmmm.

Thanx for the reply..makes me think it through a little more .

Casey

I used one of those Hurst motors for my diy TT. But it was one that ran at 600 rpm. When I made my calculations to determine the drive pulley size and the motor rpm required to turn the platter at 33.3 rpm, I came up with 600 rpm for the motor and a pulley size of about .66" diam. I had a hard time milling down the stainless steel pulley I first purchased so I went with a nylon pulley that was much easier to get down to size.

I do not have any way to control the motor rpm, I can only mill down the drive pulley to affect speed. I got it close but I am a little slow according to the strobe disk i bought. I am now working up a DC motor system that will allow me to vary the motor speed. If there is a way to easily and cheaply control the speed of an AC motor, please let me know.

The Hurst motor has worked for me for almost a year now. I does make a little noise but you can not hear it at normal listening distance. I does get a little warm to the touch and I called the factory about that, they said it was normal.

Good luck.

George

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.