Well Tempered Record Player cartridge

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have used an Ortofon MC10 (super II), a Decca and a Sumiko Blue Point Special with the WTRP. The Ortofon and the Decca were used with a Musical Fidelity A100/Spendor S-100 setup, in which the Ortofon was a bit too closed-in for my ears, even though detail and dynamics were good. The Decca was much more fun, but alas it didn't last. That needle is really sensitive...

The Sumiko BPS was used with an LC Audio RIAA/McCormack passive pre/LC Audio The End/Spendor S-100 setup. I also tried the Ortofon in that environment. The Sumiko BPS was head and shoulders above the Ortofon (yes, I switched and compared) in this setup. OTOH the Ortofon was probably getting worn and soft.
All in all, the Sumiko BPS was a very positive experience. I will never know what happened to it, I suppose me and my family are a bit heavy handed with those sensitive things... one day the left channel signal level was suddenly very low, then after a while it disappeared completely.
So if you buy a Sumiko BPS, be careful. It is very sensitive, and some of the copper "wires" that are exposed are thinner than a hair. But it does sound lovely, and in my experience works very well together with the WTRP tonearm.

Hi,

I'm using a Van den Hul DDT II special, a Goldring 1042 or A Denon DL 103.

They all work fine, esp. the DL103 gives a very good price/performance ratio!

But it depends on the rest of your chain and the music you listen to.
The VdH is a universal cart., the others not!

Greets
Michael

Re: What is a "universal" cartridge?

Ok, maybe i was not that clear...

For me the VdH Cart. plays every type of music great, that means it does not mather, if i listen to Classical, Jazz or Rock, while for instance the Denon is not perfect with heavy Rock....
(So if you listen to Soulfly or the like, i would not recomend the Denon, but if you prefer Mozart it would most likely produce very good results, a least for me)

If you want to get the best out of the VdH do yourself a favor and get rid out the outer shell of the cartridge, the result is stunning!

Greets
Michael

I like the Dynavector Karat 17d2. I have also enjoyed the Denon 103d, and Dynavector MC20x cartridge. The Karat is a GREAT sounding cartridge. Can be had for under $500 new like I got mine at agon. I am selling my WTC to go with my Ariston table. Need the loot but will miss the WTC table dearly. John

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.