Corian Turntable Fun

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
neuton7-

Ya, it sucks. I should have posted earlier with whats going on.

owen-

I wish it was work..unfortunately it's a wee bit heavier than that. My life is changing radically. Lets just say that there will no longer be a "W" in the WAF..and no, it. has nothing to do with my hobby, or the time I spend on it.

I'm hoping to resume soon, but you will understand if progress slows for a bit.

-Casey

Hi Casey.

I am very sorry to hear about your possible marital problems.

Anyway, I read this whole thread! I noticed a few pages back, that you were considering the same surface plate that I bought for turntable isolation. You mentioned using it as a possible plinth, but I wouldn't recommend it for that because even though it weighs 74# it still has tiny a bit of ring to it. I don't think that matters much for my use, but as a plinth....hmmm.

If I may respectfully suggest, if you are still having problems with isolation of your motor noise to your upper plinth, I would try sorbothane feet. I love the way this stuff works for our uses. If there is the slightest motor noise getting in to the upper level, than I would guess that sorbothane would kill it dead. One problem might be that it just doesn't look as good as the cones. I Googled, "Sorbothane rubber feet," and the prices are absurd. $95.00 for 4? Come on...... I used pieces of it cut, and stacked.

Anyway, thank you for all of your hard work, on this, and almost an equal amount of work just for posting all of those pics!:)

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=98576

Hi Dave,

I noticed a few pages back, that you were considering the same surface plate that I bought for turntable isolation. You mentioned using it as a possible plinth, but I wouldn't recommend it for that because even though it weighs 74# it still has tiny a bit of ring to it. I don't think that matters much for my use, but as a plinth....hmmm.

Nope, the thought was to use it as the top plate on the TT stand. Other than finish work, the plinths are done.

..if you are still having problems with isolation of your motor noise to your upper plinth..

Problems been solved..no motor noise=no noise to transfer to plinth..I have used Sorbothane liberaly..geat stuff.

-Casey

No need to feel sorry for me guys..really. This isn't the place to discuss it, but since I consider all of you my friends, I felt that you deserved an explanation of why things suddenly came to a halt.

I will say this on the matter..the choice to go down this path was mine, and once the dust settles I will be happier than I've been in a l-o`n-g time.

-Casey

Hello to all and above all Casey,

I only read this thread now for the first time.

I think we all will need to wait for the bearing/motor group buy. Casey when you settle everything you will have a paying customer (discounts for pre-donators?)!!! It must be soon because I would like to do a similar project in December.

In boca al lupo (good luck in italian jargon),

M

Settled dust ?

My my...I just wandered back onto DIYaudio... I remembered following a great turntable build which was based on using Corian acrylic sometime back - Todays date is July 9th 2009.

There's a block of multi-layered Corian that resembles a TT gathering dust somewhere

I guess the dust did settle after all...(!)

I trust you are well Casey ! -Andy- :apathic:

Been thru it before. Never easy, even if you are the one that wants it. Life goes on, but slowly at first. Wake up each day, pray for the knowledge to do the right thing for that day and hope that it will be a good day.
Best of luck on your new life. I kind of know a little bit of what you must be going thru right now.

spring coupler for AC line direct drive sync' motor?

Turntable:.... Since my first attempt to address it's [ spring coupler] problems by wrapping it in a rubber blanket didn't work out, I came up with another approach...

coupler-spring-silicon.jpg

RTV silicon glue. I applied it in three steps. First I compressed it so the coils touched, and laid down about a 1/16 of an inch. When I let it expand, it pulled the silicon in between the coils. I let it sit over night, and when it had cured, laid down another 1/16”. Finally, after it cured again, I filled in any voids, and ran a fillet on the ends. The entire process was done with a 1/8” shaft of a Dremel tool inserted to insure a perfect alignment as the rubber cured. How does it work? Oh...My...God. Not only does the silicon damp the spring resonance, but apparently it helps kill the motor noise at the source. So much so that I can no longer hear any motor hum while it's hanging on the “kinda horn” noise amplifier outside the housing! You can believe I'm grinning like a Cheshire cat now. Whistlin' while I worked, I reassembled the motor, and set it up on table. Fluorescents off, screwdriver pushed in my ear, I went hunting for noise. Side of motor housing..nothing. Top plinth..nothing. Bottom plinth..nothing :D. The only mechanical noise I could find was on the motor's top plate. The side load on the bushing from the belt increased the top bushing noise from zero to something slightly greater than zero. The top plate acts like a sounding board for any noise the bushing makes. I had actually anticipated this from the beginning..why I cut a recess in the top for a Sorbothane donut. I'm sure once this is in place, this minuscule noise will be gone as well. As for airborne noise at the belt, all but disappeared. There is no longer any belt vibration that I can feel, and the noise level has dropped to the point that all you hear, with your ear practically touching the pulley, is a combination of belt hiss, mixed with a faint bushing noise, and a random static crackle (the hiss may be static as well)...Casey

Question for C or other interested parties: Could Casey's revised spring coupler be used effectively for a direct drive 33-1/3 rpm AC motor to turn a turntable platter?
...regards, Michael

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.