Corian Turntable Fun - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th November 2005, 04:23 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

The load time is getting to long..I'm bumping to get to the next page so I can post my latest progress.
Old 28th November 2005, 04:28 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

Well I guess the bump wasn't needed

We’ll, I took full advantage of my long weekend and made the tools I needed to machine my platter. If I had access to a lathe large enough to swing a 12” platter it would have been a simple matter to true it up..I don’t, and it wasn’t. All operations were done using its own bearing on my modified drill press. DO NOT try any of this with a stock press and a chuck, not only would the results stink, you’ll end up being fed thru a tube.
First I cludged together a base to mount my spindle to the X-Y table on my press…

Click the image to open in full size.

…it’s not pretty, but it is functional. Next I epoxied a stack of Corion discs together and made a precision sanding drum with a jacobs taper to match my press spindle for mounting. I glued 80 grit sand paper to it and trued up the edge…

…I also made a sander to grind my belt groove. Next up was the top. I surfaced the patter with a .375 end mill in a collet chuck I made for my press…

…I wasn’t sure my bearing would be sturdy enough for this, I shouldn’t have worried…this is not your fathers turntable bearing. I was amazed at just how little the platter vibrated during this. I do believe my lead/Corion lamination would go in the “good idea” column.
Next was chamfering the top edge, as well as the belt groove edges…

…this wasn’t absolutely necessary but it sure looks nice. Here is the fruits of my labor…

…you can see the groove grinder to the right of the platter. As luck would have it, the lead in the groove loaded up the sand paper, causing the groove to be slightly curved, so I skinned it with epoxy and will do a final grind with 220 grit sand paper as soon as it cures (tomorrow).

I have been inspecting and cleaning the bearing through the course of this work. The only effect I can see is the apparent accelerating of the break-in period. Whether it’s the ran-in bearing, or the balancing effect of truing up the platter, the thing is spinning amazingly now. I haven’t timed it, but I’m sure it’s spinning longer. The most noticeable improvement is the slow spinning. It just creeps along .

Next Up…the reflex clamp. Stay Tuned.

Casey
Old 29th November 2005, 03:19 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

I finished up the belt groove, and learned a lesson I won’t soon forget…Don’t use epoxy as a filler!! I thought the lead loaded up the sandpaper quickly, compared to epoxy it’s a joy to work with. I wasn’t grinding for more than 10 sec. before the paper was useless. So after several paper changes I finally got back down to the base materials, once the epoxy was removed I was able to get a flat surface by alternating between light pressure on my grind wheel,and lightly running a file a couple times around the groove to knock off the lead ridge. This worked out great. The groove is ruler flat with a run-out of .00075”. On a 11.7” circle (the diameter of the belt groove) this works out to .0064% off of perfect…I’ll take it. Now, this number will get better or worse after I repeat the groove sanding after I paint it, but I’m in the zone.

Onward thru the fog…

Casey
Old 29th November 2005, 04:45 PM   #14
badman is offline badman  United States
diyAudio Member

Very impressive! You want to make me one? Give ya $20!

Are you going to DIY a tonearm for it? Some of the unipivot types are quite appealing to DY, with exotic tubing available in the form of arrow shafts.
Old 29th November 2005, 05:51 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Very impressive! You want to make me one? Give ya $20!
Tempting offer, let me think for a moment...uhhhhhh...NO!

Quote:
Are you going to DIY a tonearm for it?
Yup..a air bearing linear tracker design I've been working on, sort of a Ladegaard/Rockport love child. The need for a serious test bed was the actual motivation for this project ( well, that and a serious desire for some sweet, sweet analog).

Thank you for the response Mr. badman, in spite of the considerable volume of views of this thread, I've had very few comments...kind of a lonely fishbowl feeling here.

Casey
Old 29th November 2005, 06:45 PM   #16
badman is offline badman  United States
diyAudio Member

Indeed, I wanted to reply BECAUSE nobody else was. Normally such work gets a lot of replies, but in your case... what's to say without getting one's nose all brown?

The whole durned thing looks like what I'd do..... if I had a couple months and all the tooling..... that you did some of it by hand or adapted existing tooling to the project makes it all the more impressive. Please post your results with your tonearm, and with your listening, I'm mighty impressed.

Btw, I'll up the offer to $40
Old 30th November 2005, 02:32 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

I decided to post a better picture of the platter. It was just to visually disjointed with the different colors and lines to really see the machined profile, so I hit it with a quick coat of sandable primer to get this picture....

...ahhh, thats better

Casey
Old 30th November 2005, 02:36 AM   #18
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by valveitude
...ahhh, that's better
Yesm... lookin' more of a who;e now, and the beauty is showing thru....

dave
Old 30th November 2005, 02:46 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

Hi Dave,

Quote:
and the beauty is showing thru
Thank you, I think so to. I said I was going to do the reflex clamp next, but I may just work on the plinth first. It would be quicker gratification to see it take physical shape...I guess I'll just have to see how the wind blows next weekend.

Casey
Old 30th November 2005, 04:30 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

Did you get a big ol floor standing drill press and put on an ebay chinese slide table to make it a milling machine? i did the exact same thing, works pretty good but it could be better, my drill is a delta and when i apply too much side force it "jumps" up and sideways, almost as if the 2 main bearings are not preloaded properly. can they even be adjusted?

thats beutiful work by the way.

Hide this!Advertise here!