Corian Turntable Fun - Page 13 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th September 2006, 03:06 PM   #121
AuroraB is offline AuroraB  Norway
diyAudio Member

Which Thorens are you reviving???

I recently aquired a TD125 in good condition myself.....without arm , though
( I have an SME seriesII and a V15VMX improved lurking i a draw...)
Old 28th September 2006, 03:15 PM   #122
diyAudio Member

Hello Random_Walk,

Quote:
Can't wait for the pictures of the finished job.
I can't wait to PLAY the finished job

Now that the weather is cooling back down, and the temp. in my shop is livable, I should have some progress to report soon.

-Casey
Old 28th September 2006, 04:20 PM   #123
Ropie is offline Ropie  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by valveitude
Now that the weather is cooling back down, and the temp. in my shop is livable, I should have some progress to report soon.
Look forward to it - this has to be one of the longest single on-going hi-fi projects I have read about........................
Old 28th September 2006, 06:19 PM   #124
diyAudio Member

Ropie-

Quote:
this has to be one of the longest single on-going hi-fi projects I have read about
Thanx for the..err.. reminder

-Casey
Old 19th November 2006, 02:01 AM   #125
Fomob is offline Fomob  United States
diyAudio Member

Default turntable

When it comes to machining things I am a real idiot but I have been following the construction of your tabel. I currently have a Nottingham and am impressed with what you are doing. I wish I had that talent and am really excited to see the final product.
Great job and hugely impressive.
Old 19th November 2006, 05:01 PM   #126
diyAudio Member

Hello Fomob,

Thank you for your kind words

For those that are interested, I started the project back up this weekend . I am currently laying out my new motor assembly, and I hope to start making a mess as soon as I finalize the design and collect all the bits...I'm off to the hardware store.

Later,
-Casey
Old 28th November 2006, 05:31 AM   #127
diyAudio Member

After a l-o-n-g ..umm..sabbatical, the chips are once again flyin’ in the shop. I found myself at a impasse in the battle to rid the table of noise from the motor, and needed a break to sort things out. Well, the ‘break” turned into 6 months, but I think I’m back on track.

I was approaching the noise problem the wrong way. First I was trying to get rid of it by mass loading, and when that fell short, went off on a bunny trail trying to isolate the noise in the bottom plynth from the top (bubble wrap anyone…sheesh). I have since regained at least some of my sanity and realized isolating the plynths was a bandage on my knee for a sore on my elbow...I shouldn’t have noise to isolate.

After a great deal of thought I realized I had to let the vibrational energy dissipate in a controlled manner, and I had to isolate this dissipation from the motor assembly. This is what I came up with…

Click the image to open in full size.

…I machined a series of steel rings and wrapped them in lead. I then suspended the rings with Sorbothane blocks between them. Each ring is allowed to vibrate all it wants, and the energy gets less and less the further up the “ladder” you go. It really is amazing how well this works. I had the "Family Units" first feel the motor and rings while it was running, and then feel a piece of steel I had sat on it in place of the plate that would get mounted on the top…I had a David Copperfield moment from the “how can that be” expressions on their confused faces…you could just barely make out the slightest vibration if you held your fingertips lightly on the top. Now this isn’t how it goes together, but it does demonstrate that in principle the theory is sound. The mount will hang from the top plate in the final assembly.

Makin’ the plate..did I mention I need a bandsaw…

…this is the 5/8” thick steel plate I chain drilled to get the stock to make the top plate. Here is the plate machined out to hold the bearings/spindle…

…and here is the spindle with the mounted bearing…

…and finally (for the moment), the pieces put together…

The coupler between the motor and the spindle will be similar to the motor mount...a series of steel discs separated by Sorbothane .

Stay tuned….

-Casey
Old 29th November 2006, 03:29 AM   #128
diyAudio Member

A slight change of plans

Diddleing around with the motor, contemplating the best way to couple the shafts, I realized that my planned disc/Sorbothane stack would change the compliance of the mount as a whole considerably. Since it would have a positive contact to the motor, and via the bearing, the top plate, it would restrict the motor movement more than I intended.

Staring at my problem, some long dormant memory cells woke up, and I recalled working on a Dremel tool I had seriously abused. It had a small piece of PVC tubing coupling the chuck to the motor to isolate the motor noise…Beauty !

Not only should this work great, it reduces the work considerably..win-win
Old 29th November 2006, 03:45 AM   #129
Sheldon is offline Sheldon  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by valveitude
akin’ the plate..did I mention I need a bandsaw…-Casey
More like a plasma cutter. Or, much better yet, a friend with a plasma cutter, so it's not in the way when you're not using it.

The gallery eagery awaits all progress.

Sheldon
Old 29th November 2006, 12:53 PM   #130
diyAudio Member

Hey Sheldon,

Quote:
Or, much better yet, a friend with a plasma cutter
"Hey Buddy, can you spare a plasma cutter"

or

" Honey, it's Casey again..he uses that thing more than you do"

Hide this!Advertise here!