Noisily front end - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th January 2006, 01:57 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

There may be several problems here!

It doesn’t sound like it is just Hum. There may be some acoustical issues going on too. While the table is in a solid and heavy plinth made of layers of furniture plywood clamped together with ˝ inch steel threaded rods, it is on a flexi-stand (http://www.tnt-audio.com/clinica/flexye.html) from the TNT site. I have another stand made with 3-inch sand filled tubes and topped with a sand box. Once I finish leveling it I will try that.

I also wonder about the turntable itself. The platter could be of some magnetic material. Could there be some interaction between the cartridge and the platter?

You know I wonder if there is a general grounding problem going on. When I think back to when the renovation was being done that the Romex or AC cable only had 2 lines. Aren’t AC lines in the US, suppose to have positive, negative and ground? I wonder if this is the issue. So I am creating a ground. I have a piece of the 10 gauge solid core that I have connected to the cold water return on the radiator (old house remember). You know before the Loesch I had a Foreplay preamp (by Bottle head). It really did sound great but the Hum was terrible. Tried a couple of the ground techniques the site offered but with no luck. It ended up in the “failed projects pile”. Now with my issues with the other preamp I am being to wonder if the room is the problem.

Getting back to the issue at hand. I am trying to resolve the grounding issue. When I put the needle in the grove and turn the volume up I am hearing hum. The tonearm (SME 3009 II) has ground cable and is attached to the table. It other end is attached to the preamp. There are no connections between the amps and the preamp. Should there be?

Anybody know a website on how to ground?

Hide this!Advertise here!