spindle bearing

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a stainless steel spindle supported vertically by ball bearing on a derlin thrust washer and brass bushings as part of an intregal bearing housing.

My question is has anyone machined bsuhings from derlin or some other derlin type material to support the spindle in the horizontal plane?

the objective is to lower the friction and dampen the spindle from vibration.

thanks in advance for any comments,

The Linn LP12 bearing that I am useing at the moment seems to have (white) PTFE bushings in it. I also have a later version, known as the "black bearing", but I have no idea what material these are.

For there type, Linn bearings are great for DIY use as they are plentifull from dealers (people upgrading to the Cirkus mod), I got my 2 FOC. Very good quality too, you would pay a lot of money to have one made to the same standard.

As far as I am aware (and I was a Linn dealer one upon a time), you can't remove the bearing liners or replace them - you need to replace the whole bearing (the female part any way).

Paul is talking about the whole bearing assembly not just the bushings - that's right isn't it Paul?

Bob, I've machined quite a lot of Delrin in the past, what exactly do you need to know? I have used it to make bushings for bearings but not specificaly for a turntable - it worked well. Delrin bushings will certainly be quieter than a brass bush and Delrin does turn very nicely - a very slightly rounded tip on the cutting tool helps the finish and getting the feed rate and cutting angle just right can give a really nice finish.

That link that ssmith hs been kind enough to find looks very promising - if you are making the bearing from scratch.

I recently found out that Delrin (POM) is also available with graphite and other lubricants (Teflon too, I think). That would be really good. There is also lubricant loaded PEEK, another excellent bearing material. Try to get some 450FC30. The ultimate would be one of the Vespels, maybe SP-21 or SP211, but the cost is a bit much. I don't think Delrin is a great bearing surface for the ball, regardless of what the ball is made out of. PEEK or Vespel would be far better, and not much of it is needed.

IMO, people worry way too much about the spindle bearing. It doesn't take that much to do an excellent spindle bearing, but isolating from other vibration sources that manage to find their way into the platter is a lot tougher.

Delrin has pretty good wear properties and it would be fine for making the bushings to take the side load for a T.Table bearing. I'm also (like Conrad) not so convinced that Delrin would be the right choice for a thust pad though I notice that some manufacturers do now use it for that purpose - it would certainly have to be replaceable. I've not used any of the lubricant loaded versions of Delrin but they sound interesting. I have used PEEK before and prefer Delrin (is the short opinion :)).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.