Thorens TD135 / TD124 Capacitor Query - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th October 2005, 02:11 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Thorens TD135 / TD124 Capacitor Query

Hi,

I'm currently rennovating and modifying an old thorens td135 (little brother of the TD124) and have come up against a small problem. The capacitor connected across the motor terminals is partially melted and measures a really low value. Remarkably, the motor is still running well, but I was going to replace it to be on the safe side. Does anyone know what value/type of cap I should use? I can't find any info on the web, and unfortunately it's melted where the value was written!

A picture of the old cap's attached.

I've noticed from the result of my web searches that the TD124 uses a resistor as well as a cap in the PSU circuit. Would this kind of circuit be worth implementing in the 135, or shall I stick to the original for the sake of simplicity. If it sounds any good once I've finished the plinth etc. I might consider some sort of external "armageddon" type PSU.

Any thoughts and help would be much appreciated!

Tom
Old 6th October 2005, 08:59 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I've noticed from the result of my web searches that the TD124 uses a resistor as well as a cap in the PSU circuit

The only cap in the 124 is across the power switch - no cap is used on the motor as it is not synchronous.
Old 8th October 2005, 04:32 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Yes, I beg your pardon, that's the one, across the switch. Just had a look in another TD135 and it's got the following markings:

630V--d
665 - A
FZNT
61/7

I'm still none the wiser as to what this means in terms of modern/conventional values. The one in mine is a different cap, rated 1000v, but the microfarad rating is melted. Any help would be much appreciated!
Old 8th October 2005, 05:16 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

I think it's 10nF. The value is really not critical as the only purpose of the cap is to reduce the switch noise.

Hide this!Advertise here!