ADC LMF-2 tonearm mounting info

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello. I am putting together a record player. I have an ADC LMF-2, that I have had in it's box since I was a kid. I now have a BJD GST1 deck. I have no knoweledge at all in the setup of how to mount the tonearm. What distance and angle should the head be in relation to the record. Any help would be great. Thanks.

mounting position...

See "mounting distance" , 222 mm or 22.2 cm or 8.74 inches from the record spindle.

The math can easily be done to calculate all of this based on the effective length and the mounting position.

The keys here are the length, the mounting distance and the offset. (the "bend" in the headshell).

The null points explain where on an alignment gauge you should be able to align the cartridge to. You must rotate the alignment protractor to do this for the two points.

There may be alignment protractor available here or on other sites (thevinylengine.com or enjoythemusic.com).

arm position

Hi Herb1

Here's one way,

Get an 18" piece of 2"x1", drill an 8mm hole close to one end. Measure 222mm from the centre of the 8mm hole - accurate as you can and drill another hole that will be a close fit for a pencil.

Now fit the 8mm hole on the tt spindle and with the pencil in the other end, draw an arc over the top right corner of the deck. Get the ADC arm and try it along the arc till the front and back are inside the plinth edges, mark the spot on the arc. Drill a hole big enough to give 2-3mm of adjusting slack for the arm collar.

I don't know the deck you have, is the arm mounted on metal or wood. If metal, I prefer to use a thin (4/5mm) mdf or ply 'washer' between the collar and the metalwork.

Hth

Colin

G'Day Guys. Thanks very much for the info. I now have my lovely arc ready to go. Just making sure that it doesn't matter where on the arc I fit the arm (before I drill the hole!). It is going to fit better if the resting position isn't at right angles to the deck. Will this matter? (the arm is longer than the original and when it is straight it is very close to the On'Off knob).I assume all other adjustments (null points) pertain to the cartridge (that I have'nt got yet). Cheers for your time, Herb.

Got a pix of the turntable?

I don't know what it is:) and am interested to see it, as brands from around the world do not often make it here to Canada.

The monuting location does need to be on the arc. As long as the arm does not use an SME type "sled" then location can be anywhere on the arc. SMEs follow a location that provides the correct distance but also a radial path so that their arms can be aligned (there are no slots in an SME arm, just two holes for the mounting screws). The alignment needs to wait until you have a cartridge, but they are dependant on the arm length and overhang. And they are not "set in stone", as there are a number of alignments available, but I was working from manufacturer's data as far as I know.

Good luck, and enjoy the table:)

Hi, I'm not sure if those figures are the original ADC ones, but quite a number of arm manufacturers seemed to publish measurements that just didn't work out.
That outer null radius surely isn't the standard Baerwald/RIAA spe for an LP (?) - that works out to 146.05mm and the other measurements look kinda wrong, the offset angle in partiular.

Working backwards from a 237mm effective arm length, I get:
overhang 17.44mm
offset 23.22 degrees (which looks much nearer to normal)
mounting then rounds to 219.5mm

If you look at these measurements against the well-known Rega figures, a couple of mm longer, they seem to agree nicely.

Hi, I do think those figures are suspect.
There's another ADC arm - the "ALT-1" on vinyl engine and it also has an effective lenght of 237mm. The figures for that, given that they use nulls at 69 and 129mm, seem to be much better with an offset of 24.6 degrees and an overhang of 19mm.

I don't see how there can be such widely differing solutions for the same effective length, the only difference should be which side of the null point arguments you agree with.

Federico Moreno posted links to all the math and stuff for this on the forum a short while ago.

regards, Jeff

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.