Need help with an old TT [Lenco L65]

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey!
Not so long ago I saw my friend's father's old tt and I fell in love with these. From a friend who is a technician I bought a Lenco L65, a quite old TT. But supposedly he did not sell a box of **** since he is a friend who has some experience in this. Anywayz my TT IS ****. I put an the first record(it was fine quality, sounded OK on other TTs) to try it but I could only heard some scratching sound from the speakers. On full volume the music could be heard...a bit :S.
Guess it is hard to say what's the problem from so little info but I thought I might try.
I tried balancing my arm it had no effect on the sound. I use my Hi-Fi as an amplifier, I connected the TT to it with an AUX cable which was already in it, probably someone has already renovated the TT. Some says it might be a problem.
Anyone has any idea?
Pleeeaase:)
I looked up the stuff on the net but there is not much data on Lenco L65. It is siad that it's not the best TT ever but for a newbie like me I guess it will be ok.

Pls try to help me ok?

Hi Stumpf,

so... if I understood it correctly, you connected your TT to the AUX input of your Hi-Fi, right?
Well, TTs are equipped with magnetic cartridges, which have an average output of 5 mV, while an AUX input has a sentitivity (usually) of around 0.5 to 1 V.
Moreover, the correct reproduction of an LP needs an equalisation network in the phono stage, to boost the bass tones and attenuate the treble tones (RIAA curve).
So, if your amp (which one is it?) has a dedicated phono input, connect your TT to it. If not... well, build a phono stage!

Cheers,

Bruno

Stumpf...

To be able to record enough information on a "LP", an equalization "filter" was used during recording. This reduced the amplitude and frequency of the recorded sounds. When a stylus (needle) reacts to the record groove it reproduces that groove's frequency and amplitude modulations. Think of a "phono input" as a phono "un-equalizer and amplifier" and the reverse of the original equalizer, allowing the signal to become as per the original frequency, and large enough to allow the amplifier section of your audio chain to amplify it to a level that can be reproduced through your loudspeakers.

If your amplifier (I am assuming integrated) has a "phono in" , use it. If not you will need to get a phono stage (sometimes called a phono amp, etc), and connect the output from the TT to the input on the phono stage, and then from the phono stage to your amplifier's "Aux" input.

For those that have never had, or used a turntable, the "Phono input" or requirement for a phono stage sometimes go unexplained. Maybe I should write an "Newbie's Guide to Analog Audio" or something similar.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.