DIY platter bearing - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th September 2005, 01:47 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default DIY platter bearing

Hi!
I´m planning to make myself a bearing for my DIY TT project.
But I will need some drawings. Does anybody here at this forum have any good examples of bearings ?

/P
Old 7th September 2005, 02:15 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

hi, i think that the design of a bearing is really very simple, but actually *making* one needs a great deal of precision.

Not a drawing, sorry, just a basic sketch of a pretty typical layout of Scheu/Teres type, which is really a variation on the ancient Garrard/Thorens design.
The large bearing surface provides some oil drag with a ball bearing/thrust pad at the bottom. An oil reservoir at the bottom, too.

Its sucess depends largely upon the quality and finish of the machining so if I were making one I would make the bottom removable, like the Garrard 401, simply because it's easier to lap a through hole than a blind one. I also think that unless you have access to some very good equipment (I don't!) then it will be a case of very carefully lapping the bore against go/no go plugs and then slowly, slowly finishing the shaft to fit.

regards, jeff
Attached Images
File Type: gif ttbearing.gif (3.3 KB, 735 views)
Old 7th September 2005, 03:30 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

If that's supposed to be a Scheu bearing (duhh) the drawing's upside down
Old 7th September 2005, 05:30 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Hi, didn't know the Scheu was the other way up. I guess that still applies for the Teres/Garrard type, though the Garrard uses a domed end rather than a separate ball and has a male taper at the top of the shaft.
Even so, they're simple things, just dependant on very accurate machining and finishing
regards, jeff
Old 7th September 2005, 09:34 PM   #5
AuroraB is offline AuroraB  Norway
diyAudio Member

Jeff.. your drawing is appx. correct forr the Teres bearing....
except there is a wider pocket in the middle 1/3 of the bushing.. this reduces drag friction and also serves as an oil reservoir fo rhte upper part.......

Cougarnut....
I have made the Teres bearing, - but I don't have access to the drawings at the moment......they were public on Teresaudio.com until sometime 2003, - and I later exchanged mails with Tom Machris, one of the original Teres builders...
The diameter of the spindle in a revised version was 20 mm, - spindle length into bearing appx 50 mm.
A good bearing needs to be machined and polished to an accuracy of 3-5 microns.....0r 0.005 mm...

Jeff....
something was rumbling in the back of my head....
I just checked out the mod's you made as well as the original #26...
Old 7th September 2005, 10:17 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Since I have 25 years of experiance in metalworking , the making and precision is no problem.

thanks for the sketch..
Old 8th September 2005, 08:09 AM   #7
plysch is offline plysch  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Here comes a drawing, it´s a copy of Teres-bearing.
Attached Files
File Type: zip lager.zip (27.9 KB, 238 views)
Old 8th September 2005, 10:29 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Hi,

..."I have made the Teres bearing,"...

What was your method for making and matching the parts?

I remember years ago making a rather similar bearing for a telescpoe mount and it took a very, very long time!

regards, Jeff
Old 8th September 2005, 10:42 AM   #9
AuroraB is offline AuroraB  Norway
diyAudio Member

I made the bearing two years ago,.. on a standard good quality manual lathe, with very careful measurements going along, using micrometers instead of calipers...I happen to have access to a fairly good workshop outside normal working hours..
I later made another one using a piece of a very high precision 20mm hydraulic piston rod and what we call a precision "brotsh" (reamer ??) for the housing.... both came out quite well, with a tolerance of appx 5 microns...I still have a little fine polishing to do, - using 1-2 micron papers....

Unfortunately other events stole my spare time, so the bearings are still happily residing in a drawer in my office...
Hopefully I will be able to complete the "thing" during the winter, as at least some of the major events governing my spare time has died out quietly.....................
Old 8th September 2005, 01:20 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Hi, thanks for that.
The mention of the hydraulic piston is very interesting as these are very accurate and readily available - like even car parts etc. It sounds like a very good basis for a home-made bearing as the shaft is easier to make than the bore.

regards, jeff

Hide this!Advertise here!