What is the best way to adjust Tone Arm

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Well to put it honestly...just play with the weights (add/ remove/move forwards or back). Listen for a while...make adjustments...listen for a while...make adjustments. Just trying to get a good sound without turning the albums into a big slinky :>)

Seen an old turn table from a Buick...late 50's I think. Man did that tone arm, or should I say Tone Log apply pressure to the album! What your record skips...here lets just add a BIGGER spring...viola problem solved :>)

Rino Odorico

Re: Re: what you do to adjust your tone arm?

François said:

turn the weights until you have the equilibrium and then put the marker to 0. From that zero, turn again ¼ turn to add weight.
That's it and adjust the antiskating.
It can be done on a record without groves or on a testrecord observing distortion in both channels. Either way it is a compromise.:)

BTW those smilies make me crazy. I feel like being in kindergarten again.:mad: :xeye: :eek: :angel: :bigeyes: :bawling: :confused: :rolleyes: ;) :cool: :eek:

If you want to get really precise about it, once you adjust the tonearm to the equilibrium position (when the tonearm is horizontally balanced, and the stylus downward force is essentialy zero), you can then use a force gauge to set the tracking weight to whatever you want. 1.2 grams to 1.8 grams is a good range to start, for most cartidges. You can buy such a gauge for $15-$25 at better audio shops (or on-line).

All,
i will post a short manual how to adjust a tonearm by measurement and by ear as soon as i have time. Maybe the wiki is the right place?

Elso,
do you feel bad about smilies in general or about how certain members use them?
They are meant to transport "i feel" messages not easily expressed using the keyboard. Of course, they can be misused as many other things.

Smilies

Hi Bernard,
Yes I understand the "I feel message". But there a now so many "smilies" to chose from that I feel it is overdone.
A occasional ;) will show that I am not angry but these 194 icons are going to live its own life...
I was disappointed the angel :angel: had its wings clipped off.
I am quite aware that the written text misses bodylanguage, intonation, facial expression etc. etc. all present in a person to person conversation. To me this is a challenge to try to express myself especially as English is not my first language.

dice45 said:
All,

Elso,
do you feel bad about smilies in general or about how certain members use them?
They are meant to transport "i feel" messages not easily expressed using the keyboard. Of course, they can be misused as many other things.

This is not a problem in general. I my case I didn't understand with the guy (now in the sinbin) has answered with only smilies. Why do posting when there is no contribution, this is not a race to the maximum number of posts :car:

François :)

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
ADJUSTIN' TONEARMS

Bernhard,

will post a short manual how to adjust a tonearm by measurement and by ear as soon as i have time. Maybe the wiki is the right place?

I wouldn't mind if you did this,I see a lot of interest in analogue reproduction from the younger audiophiles which I welcome.

All of you,

A rather cost effective test record can be easily made from an old,worn record by doing away with all the grooves.
You will need one that is flat of course.
Rubbing it with aceton (nail polish remover)until it is perfectly flat will give a useful tool for:

-Anti-skating adjustment.

-Residual TT motor rumble.

-Bearing noise.

-Isolation and damping of the TT.

-Azimuth adjustment.

-Determinig the sonic footprint of any given TT.

-Listening to the vinyl's self resonance.

-Needletalk.

-Stereo separation.

-And even RIAA fine tuning for those that don't have signal gens and scopes.

There are a lot of tests you can do with this depending on individual need and imagination.

I usually use a high-res headphone (electrostatic) for these tests with excellent results.

Cheers,;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.