MM or MC how to tell which one I have

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey all, just wondering. How can I tell which one I have...MM or MC on my turntable? Baught it off a guy from work...really cheap ($20 CAD)! Luxman PD-310 and it has an SAE Cartarage? I change the settings on my preamp (Luxman C 05) from MM to MC, one is louder in volume (can't remember which one though). Also, my preamp has a setting for different impedances for MC. Don't know which one to set it to.

Rino Odorico

OK, if you can't play REAL loud with MM it must be a MC pickup you have, maybe a high level one. If the phono amp is well designed you will get the same "klang"(*) independently of gain.

You can also determine type by check level with a tape deck. If you get descent level then you have probely the MM-MC switch in the right position.

(*) I'm searching for the english word, "way of sounding". Is there a good word for that?

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Guys,

Nine out of ten it's a MC made by or for SAEC ,a Japanese company Luxman cooperated with on tonearms amongst other stuff.
If you choose the MM position and you don't get a reasonable soundlevel at say 11 o'clock it's most likely a MC cartridge.
On the other hand if an MM is sent trough the MC position it will most likely overload that stage and sound way too loud and distorted.

Rgds,;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.