Garrard lab 80 wiring.... - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th July 2005, 10:16 PM   #1
Nanook is offline Nanook  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Garrard lab 80 wiring....

I had asked here for comments regarding modifying an old Lab 80, and basically it was suggested that I not do it. However the thing was free, and not a high end "collectable" model, so I think I will do it anyways, hopefully creating a fun , manual garrard Lab 80, (no mechanicals, no electronics, just an on off switch and the speed selector)

The motor has three wires going to it. Red , Blue and Green.
The Green is a chassis ground, I assume the Red is AC positive, the Blue AcC negative.

Am I correct or will this be a shocking experience?

As usual, any and all help is appreciated.
Old 18th July 2005, 02:22 PM   #2
EC8010 is offline EC8010  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

You might be right, but I doubt it. Garrards typically connected the on/off switch in the middle of the motor, so those wires wouldn't corrrespond to mains. If there's a neon strobe light, one of those wires might be a 90V tapping using the motor as an autotransformer. There are various possibilities. I suspect that you haven't actually found the mains input to the motor.

Could you take a photograph of the underside?
Old 18th July 2005, 04:23 PM   #3
dnsey is offline dnsey  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

The mains connections are usually to a terminal block, under a clear plastic cover.
Old 18th July 2005, 11:06 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Default Garrard Lab 80 con't

here's what's under the plinth of the Lab80. I guess I could just wire the motor to a switch directly as long as it is rated for 120V, 10 amps or something like that (don't know the voltage rating on the motor but it is a North American one)

attached is a sketch of the circuit as seen from below. Thanks to any and all...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg garrard schematic.jpg (55.0 KB, 176 views)
Old 19th July 2005, 07:40 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Default Garrard Lab80 wiring....con't

so I took the plunge and just hooked up the wires. Red to +120V, blue to - (return), and green to ground. My god, this is what everyone means about these Garrard motors.... completely silent (ya it was spinning).

So the next step is a fuse, a good switch and remanufacturing the idler wheel..
Old 29th July 2005, 01:52 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Hi,
I just took a chance, and bought one cheap from ebay. I also got a good deal on a rb250, so I am going to see if I can mount it. The seller said it probably needs a new idler wheel, so I am going to look for a place that refurbs them.

Randy
Old 29th July 2005, 04:40 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Default idler wheels...

You may try the turntable factory
Although I have never seen any of his work, He has posted here and at other sites regarding the work he does. He also was kind enough to send me a very prompt personal email response to a question that I had, and I can only imagine how good his customer service is. I have to believe that this is the basis for his business If his customer testimonials (provided on his website) are even remotely true (and I have no reason to believe that not to be the case---anyone here have personal experinces?) his customers must be very happy.

http://www.theturntablefactory.com/

There are others out there as well.

I am in no way associated to the turntable factory

"watch out where the Huskies go and don't you eat that yellow snow"
Old 29th July 2005, 06:49 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

They look like the place to send for a complete refurb.
I have this delusion of refurbing it myself. I have found a few places on the net that say they can repair old idlers, have to pick one of them, and send it out.

Randy
Old 27th November 2009, 07:23 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

i have the whole manual for the Garrard lab 80 turntable if anyone needs the info,i also have a lab 80 turntable in working condition,it just needs a little work and i haven't had time

Hide this!Advertise here!